TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Proper viewing settings?

The Early A-Body Forum » Feedback Forum » Proper viewing settings? users admin

64ragtop
Advanced Member
Post Number: 50
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:23 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Perhaps this should go in the FAQ???

What is the ideal Windows Monitor settings in "Control Panel" to view all of the forum window without having to scroll back and forth, and at the same time have the full width of the screen used for better text resolution?

Explanation: I'n 59 years old, wear bifocals, and like to sit in a relaxed (leaning back or slumped) position while web piddling. I usually just keep mu monitor set to 800 X 600, and normal text size from the "view" menu. On this forum (and some others) the text overlaps the screen width. I can either scroll back and forth, or go to a higher resolution (that is unnecessary for text recognition), and increase the text size in the view menu. Then when I go to my homepage or most other websites, I need to return to my preferred 800 X 600 resolution and I no longer need the larger text zoom setting. Help, or explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC
Admin
Administrator
Post Number: 113
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 1:31 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
At 800 X 600 you should not have to scroll back and forth, left and right. Scrolling up and down will be necessary at any setting.

I usually have my monitor at 1024 X 768 with my text size (VIEW, TEXT SIZE from within IE) set to medium. At 800 X 600, with LARGEST text you should still not have to scroll left to right.

Some pages will require scrolling if a user has posted a very large image, but that will be true for users using 1024 X 768 as well.

Are you sure you have to scroll left to right on every page of the forum, or just some pages where there are large images?
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://cuda.enbcom.com
64ragtop
Post Number: 54
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 3:43 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
OK, Yeah, it is the ones with large images. No help for that, huh?

BC
Admin
Administrator
Post Number: 115
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 4:22 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The only way is to limit the size of image that people can post. I've played with this idea, but it seems a max image size of 800 X 800 is good so people can post nice crisp clear photos, landscape or portrait style (sideways or vertical if you prefer describing it that way) and most image software uses 800 as a standard setting.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
64ragtop
Post Number: 55
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:02 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The big pictures are nice, but scrolling back and forth to see the whole picture is pretty much like scrolling to see the width of a post. What resolution are most of our members using? Maybe I just need to learn to read itty bitty print and change resolution for various websites???
Admin
Administrator
Post Number: 116
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:23 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I also use a 17" monitor, which I think is becoming standard whereas 14-15" was standard a few years ago.

Maybe 800 X 600 photo limit is too generous?
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
64ragtop
Post Number: 58
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 7:47 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Would it be possible to try a smaller limit by maybe 20% and see if it presents problems. I (for one) would be very grateful. Another possibility is that I need a bigger monitor. Mine is 18" diagonally, but I do enjoy rocking back in my chair and sitting VERY casually, not at all in the upright ergonomic style that some folks adopt. My web browsing is very much a leisure activity, and I have to sit up and address my keyboard to type. Most of the time, I suppose a polite word for my posture would be "sprawl". However, it's my style, and I like it!
64ragtop@earthlink.net (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:26 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
No scrolling necessary, fills 22.5 inches of my 14.5 inch wids (19" diagonally) minitor. It's perfect for me. Is it too small for anyone else? I have no inteest in inconveniencing anyone, if I'm the odd duck in the flock. New challenge, though. I got here by clicking on the link in the email notification, typed this reply, entering my username (64ragtop) and clicked "Preview/Post, I get this:
"Error
The name you entered too closely resembles the username or full name of a registered user or moderator on this board. As an unregistered user, you must either obtain an account of your own, or otherwise enter a different name." so I'll post as "Anonymous". Or, I _would have_, except I got the same error message again. so I will enter my full name. Or, I _would have_ except I got the same error message _again_! So, I'll try entering my e-mail address.
64ragtop
Post Number: 61
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:31 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well, that worked! Since I got to the forum by clicking on the link in the e-mail notification, and had not logged in, I was required to enter my e-mail address as my username. Which seems to have logged me in. No big deal, if I know what to expect. It's even logical! Unless, of course, what passes for logic in my world is somewhat askew. Anyway, whatever works!!! I suppose the need to scroll now just reflects the previous posts with pictures I had to scroll horizontally to view.
64ragtop
Post Number: 62
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:36 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well, the last sentance of my my last message is called into question now, as I now need to scroll to see the full photo and the messages displayed in this thread. I hope this is being helpful, and am perfectly willing to accept whatever behavior is most advantagious for you and the other menbers. Thanks for your efforts! BC
Admin
Administrator
Post Number: 125
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:42 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Using your email address as a username (like you did above) forces the left column a little wider. Once upon a time I figured out all the possible combinations of max left column along with max right column vs. screen size of 800 X 600 or whatever, but I don't recall what I came up with any more. I suspect if I remove the photo, things will even out. I probably figured it all out without a photo present.

I can limit the length of a username to as little as 2 characters (which would be stupid) and right now I think it's set to 25 or something.

Not sure what to say to you on all this.....
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Admin
Administrator
Post Number: 126
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:48 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Yup, removing the photo makes things better.

There's a few answers:

One: Make the left column a fixed width, but then it has to be as wide as the longest username allowable which in most cases will leave the left column full of blank space

Two: Figure out the max username name (which will determine the max left column size) and make the max allowable photo size such that the screen will never go too wide

Three: Copy all the other forums on the internet and make the columns fill the screen, whatever size screen you have.

Four: Leave it all the way it is, which may not be perfect but it works okay and I don't have to fart around with it when really I should be doing my books for my business. :-)
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
64ragtop
Post Number: 64
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:48 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well, as long as you don't tell me to "Go pi** up a rope and die, and furthermore, don't ever darken my forum again", I'll just adapt! Thanks again, again!

BC
64ragtop
Post Number: 65
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:50 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I vote for # 4!

BC

(and I suppose another "thanks" would be redundant, so as our spanish speaking friends say, gracias!)
Admin
Administrator
Post Number: 127
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:54 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well I appreciate you finding the bugs, there's always someone out there with your ability!

Seriously, I've strived to make it as user friendly as possible, yet unique from the generic forums you see all over the internet (straight out of the box types). There is room for improvement and it will haunt me until it's right.

Ultimately I need to set up a copy of this forum on another site to do tests. I had that, but with the domain name change I decided to move all my domains (which has been hell, I still don't have working email right now and my wife is pissed off!) so it will all have to wait a while until the dust settles and I get time to set up a copy of the forum on another domain.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
64ragtop
Post Number: 66
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:24 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I've been a bit hesitant to point out the glitches, for fear of being a pain in the a**. Glad to help anytime, but for now, "letting the dust settle is fine. After all, as we say down south: "If mama aint happy, aint NObody happy!"

Yours for domestic tranquility.

BC
Admin
Administrator
Post Number: 128
Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:42 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
In a while (like maybe after this busy summer I'm having with work) I'll be very happy to hear about all the glitches. We'll set up a special area where you or whoever can post their findings then we'll set up another forum on another site and work them all out there, it's the only way.

But I'm not even convinced the forum will survive! I mean, yes it's been here for a few years now and we have 211 registered members, but who's posting? Maybe a half dozen of us. That's another story I guess.

Summer is here, I should be out cruising in my Barracuda, or at least working on getting it working properly .....I shouldn't be on here doing this! :-)
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: