TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Splitting the gearbox from the engine

The Early A-Body Forum » Feedback Forum » Splitting the gearbox from the engine users admin

65s
Post Number: 19
Friday, December 27, 2013 - 2:22 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
During the holiday break I decided to do more work on my Barracuda restoration. I removed the 273 engine and gearbox (A-833) as one unit early this year. Today I used my engine crane to lift the assembly. I removed the five top bolts and two smaller bolts however it hasn't separated. My shop manual doesn't show an exploded view to know where there may be some bolts I've overlooked.
Would someone please assist? A diagram would be helpful.

Steve
Fstfish66
Post Number: 649

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 10:03 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
are you trying to remove the trans from the motor or what?
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
65s
Post Number: 20
Friday, December 27, 2013 - 1:04 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Yes Fstfish, that's what I'm doing. Right now, the trans. won't separate from the engine, even though I can't find more bolts to remove. I've used a block of timber and a large hammer onto the front face of the trans but there's only slight movement at the top which then closes again.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 650

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 5:14 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
there are only 4 bolts that hold the trans to the belhousing, and ill guess 5or 6 that hold the bell housing to the motor,,,
also some times there are supports straps bolted to the bell and to the motor,,,

unbolt the 4 bolts holding the trans to the motor,,slide the trans off then unbolt the bell housing,,
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
65s
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 21
Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 2:07 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for your help with this. I found another bolt under the oil filter adaptor. Once that was out, the trans. came away easily.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: