TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Differential Cover for a 7 1/4 (9 bol...

The Early A-Body Forum » Parts Wanted » Differential Cover for a 7 1/4 (9 bolt ) rear end users admin

Steves65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 47

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 12:35 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hello, I am looking for a new differential cover for my 7 1/4 inch (9 bolt) rear axle, the drain plug has been completely butchered by previous owners and won't come off unless I drill it out so I think I probably should just get a replacement cover...also i'm not sure what type of gear oil I should refill with, from the manual it looks like SAE 75, SAE 80, or SAE 90, when I went down to autozone all I saw was 85W-140, 80W-90, 75W-90....not really sure what the differences are and neither did anyone who worked their!

Thanks!
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 173

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 1:58 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Steve, If your cover is good and only the drain plug is bad drilling out the plug is really simple task. Just drill a 5/16" hole in center of plug and use a easyout to get it out then replace it with new plug. as far as the gear oil goes I use 80w-90w in my car and I'm in a area where the climate runs fron 100*f summer time and down to 0*f winter time. It is what I have ran in all my cars over the last 50+ yrs. You can run synthetic but it may leak past seals.
Steves65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 48

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 2:06 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It is really just the plug that is bad, any idea where I would be able to get a replacement plug, any idea what the thread size is?

Thanks!
Mojack
Post Number: 300

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 2:11 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'm just guessing, but i would think most auto parts stores would have that type of plug.
Steves65
Post Number: 51

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 4:10 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The easy out worked great, I spent $9 on an easy out and $12 on a new drain bolt. I found an oil pan drain bolt for a dodge truck, it's the same thread size, but it is a bit longer, I am hoping that won't cause any problems

Barracudabad64
Post Number: 174

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 5:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Steve measure the length for the plug and then measure the distance from the diff cover hole to the ring gear and this should tell you if the new plug is going to contact the ring gear. you don't want to have the plug to contact anything on the inside as it would surely ruin everything inside the diff and also your day. another way to check is to install the new plug then with the rear wheels off the ground try turning the rear wheels by hand. hope everything turns ok. George
Steves65
Post Number: 52

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 5:46 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for the warning, i'll be sure to check!
Fstfish66
Post Number: 601

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 9:18 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
stick a screw driver in the hole with the cover bolted on, then make a mark on the screw driver as to how far it goes in,,,pull it out then hold it next to the new longer bolt,,

good luck
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Steves65
Post Number: 53

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 8:35 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey guys, just checking in with an update, I checked the clearance and had plenty of room so I put it back together this morning and everything went smooth, which was a great birthday present for me, so now i'm taking the rest of the day off! Thanks again for all of your help!

Mojack
Post Number: 302

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 11:54 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Good work Steve and Happy Birthday!
Steves65
Post Number: 54

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 6:10 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: