TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Keep 273 or replace with 318

The Early A-Body Forum » The Knowledge Base » Engine » Keep 273 or replace with 318 users admin

Jkirk
Post Number: 16

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 4:25 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The 273 was frozen when I got the car. It took 1 month plus with ATF in cylinders to finally break loose. Compression test results 1;60psi, 3;60psi, 5;5psi, 7;160psi 2;40psi, 4;60psi, 6;35psi, 8;135psi. Engine does run. It smokes through carb when cranking. Runs ruffly to say the least.
I have rebuild the Carb carter bbd kit70-1984 from napa and replaced the points with Electronic Ing Pertronics model 1381A.
From what I have seen the 273's are harder to find parts for and a 318's is alot more common.

please give input
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 111

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 6:16 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
You didn't say if this is a Hi pro 273 or not but if it is a hi pro 273 why yes the 10.5 to 1 compression pistons are expensive and hard to find. So with that said allot depends on if you want to keep it completely original and stock or are you good with making changes. I like both the 273 & 318 engines. I would do a tear down and see what it would take to fix the 273 then compair what it would take to get a good 318 replacement engine. and go from there. Good luck.
Jkirk
Post Number: 18

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 4:48 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Where are the casting numbers at on the block?
65s
Post Number: 14
Friday, February 12, 2010 - 1:40 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
If your car is a Commando 273, this may assist. My car is a Formula S with the High compression pistons (same color as yours!) and I bought a set of these pistons with rings and pins from Northwestern Auto Supply, Grand Rapids MI. The cost was $500. For originality I intend going with the 273 with some internal modifications. I guess it comes down to what you want from the car but the solid lifter 273 apparently performs well.
Jkirk
Post Number: 19

Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 2:59 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Here is a picture of the fender tagfender tag

I don't think that it is a 273 commando.

Is there anything of interest on this tag?
65s
Post Number: 15
Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 2:11 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I can only tell you that V89 means Barracuda 2 door Hardtop, P4X refers to trim black vinyl, Paint AA1 is Gold Poly yet your car appears to be Medium Red poly. SO 715 is the planned shipping delivery date July 15. The VIN plate is not off a Formula S or it would have the number 2 under the letter C.
Perhaps someone else can decode the rest of the VIN.
Jkirk
Post Number: 20

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 5:13 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It has been painted to that Aspen rust brown color, (same color as rust) the under hood is still gold poly

I have done some studying after the last post The # 2 under the 7 means it was a sold (ordered)car, #30 under AB is a 273, # 5 under D is an Automatic, # 1 under E is Factory Heater & A/C, # 1 under Q is basic Am Radio, # 2 under Z is premium bucket seats, July 15: line unit production number 52, The B under the T in PAINT is Black paint on the upper door frame.

I found the Production Broadcast Sheet under the back seat. Still need to decode parts of that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: