TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Headers: 6.1L hemi swap

The Early A-Body Forum » The Knowledge Base » Exhaust » Headers: 6.1L hemi swap users admin

Cruzerfnc
Post Number: 1

Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:49 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi, my first post! Has anybody swapped in a 6.1 hemi into their early A body cars or known someone who has? I'm putting in a 6.1L 426 and need some leads on shorty or long-tube header options (anything besides 5.7 cast iron logs!!). I have the AlterKtion w/ manual rack steering, a TKO-500 tranny w/ hydraulic clutch, and the shock-mount humps in the eng comp fenderwalls have been flushed back, so it couldn't get any easier (relatively speaking) to get something to fit. Anybody got any ideas?! Thanks much in advance!
Mojack
Post Number: 360

Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 3:01 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome aboard, here's a discussion from several years ago:

http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/2/3586.html?1201146774

I'd really like to see some pics of what you've done already. I like the AlterKtion stuff, I just haven't seen it in a lot of early A's.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 655

Monday, February 03, 2014 - 1:00 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
if u have alterkation in that car i would think any thing made for a A body would fit with no issues,,, you can always use the jeep SRT manifolds lots use them on other conversions good luck
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Cruzerfnc
Post Number: 2

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 1:04 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I took this project over from someone who just lost the juice for it (he bought a Viper and called it good). So I got one hell of a sweet package that I just need to get together and fill in the gaps (exhaust being one of them). Mojack, this is what I have to work with...
EngComp
EngComp1
I know the color is god awful and I'll be repainting that before the final drop-in. Fstfish66, do you know of anyone who's had success using TTi headers on an early A? TTi says they're only for '67 and up. What wold be the restricive areas? Obviously that would be the optimal choice but I don't want to take the risk of placing the order and having it not fit...but it may be worth the risk
Thanks for the replies!
64ragtop
Post Number: 502

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 5:39 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The Alterkation setup has removed everything the header makers have been saying would be in their way. I haven't looked to see who's making headers for the new Hemi engines, but surely anyone who is has a block hugger style that'll just fall right into that giant open space you've made. Send those pics to the maker(s) of your choice and get the checkbook ready. And post pictures of the project!!!

BC

PS, though I'm not a moderator, nor do I want to be, but I don't think the Knowledge Base is the right forum. I'd suggest the Members Area. You are a member, now!!
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Fstfish66
Post Number: 656

Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:37 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
i would think any mordern hemi header would fit your car now,,, you may have to rework the steeering column linkage,, if it were me,,ide look at a set of SRT jeep manifolds from the previous jeep srt nt the current jeep,, all tho they may be the same,, several swaps have used the SRT jeep manifolds,,and will be way cheaper then any header,,,if u must have headers i would think,,TTI would fit now find some one with TTI and ask them for deminsions,,or pics,, also check a company called sanderson they will make what u need
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Cruzinfnc
Post Number: 1
Monday, November 02, 2015 - 11:05 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey Guys, it's me again after several years. Sorry about the handle change but this me, Cruzin Far Nor Cal. I'd update my profile picture but I keep getting an error when trying to do so.
I've been through a lot with this project and its waaaaay past time to tell its story. I also feel like a leach, lurking and grabbing the info I need but not giving back. Well now it's time to give it back and pay it forward for the next poor soul inflicted with this sickness and looking for answers.
To close this thread, the available solution to our exhaust issue was SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee exhaust manifolds that I got cheap from a performance shop in FL. TTI didn't make them and I didn't want to take the risk of buying them, tweaking them, and then still not working. Apparently guys swap the factory manifolds out for aftermarket exhaust right after buying their Jeeps and the shops have excess of them practically brand new! The passenger side fit perfect but the driverside had to be modified a bit: the bellhousing had to be trimmed; the flange had to be cut, reclocked, and rewelded; and we had to massage (heat & hammer) it to clear the steering column. It still fits barely and fear contact at hard deceleration. Bugs to be worked out later I suppose, hehe. First it's high time to get this thing on the road. I'll post pics of this particular issue/solution (and many others) in the build thread I'm starting up in the members area. Stay tuned...
Mojack
Post Number: 402

Monday, November 02, 2015 - 4:00 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'll be looking forward to your build thread, make sure you tell all the details and pitfalls include pics too. I'm sure eventually there will be others that can benefit from your trials and tribulations.
Keith_mopar
Post Number: 280

Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 9:10 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Glad to see your still on it. Defiantly love to see your build...
Keith Mopar
99-Ram 96-Avenger 91-Shadow 91-Daytona 89-Shadow 74-Duster 65-Cuda 92 Lebaron convertible
www.moparmagic.net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: