TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Trying my hand at some vinyl painting

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through July 30, 2013 » Trying my hand at some vinyl painting users admin

Steves65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 38

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 4:37 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
These armrests were on my red vert, but definitely didn't come from the factory with it. I'm not sure if one of them was even stock in this car and the other one is going to need to be replaced because the base is cracked where the screw attach to the door...but for now I washed them with soapy water, I am planning on rubbing them down with some mineral spirits and I bought some dupli color red vinyl paint so I am going to try and paint them up this weekend and see how they come out
Steves65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 39

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 4:44 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hell_fish
Post Number: 174

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 12:13 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The top one is stock, the other is mopar, but I forget which model and year. I have seen them used before in another early A. Red should be easy. Any solvant cleaner that softens the vinyl and makes if tacky for a few minutes is best. Light coatings at first and thicker coats to finish.
Steves65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 40

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:33 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks...do you think any type of clear coat over the paint is .needed?
Hell_fish
Post Number: 175

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 1:45 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Nope. It might make it wrinkle.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 591

Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 1:00 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
the arm rest with no base is from a 1963 A body and earlier
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Steves65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 41

Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 2:55 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
so not only were these the wrong color, they were from different years too! My father in-law picked this car up as a running/driving car, for a project in the late 70's and these armrests were there when he got it...wonder what happened to the originals!
Hell_fish
Post Number: 176

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 7:06 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
They break. The 63, are a better option. I will be using Falcon armrests in my Cuda, but am having to get custom adapters made.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 592

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 10:14 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
steve do u have the 63 front arm rests ? they are longer and wrap around the door handle,,i do believe the 62 63 valiants used short ones on the front doors as well i may be wrong,,but the darts had short in the back long in the fron no plastic bases on the arm rests untill 1964
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Steves65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 43

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 3:37 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
All I have are these two mismatched arm rests, I put a couple of coats of paint on them over the weekend, but am planning on going back over them again this weekend
Steves65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 44

Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 5:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Here are a few after pics, I'm pretty happy with the way the came out but, the base on the driver side is very cracked so if I actually tried to close the door with it i'm sure it would pull right off. I can use it for now, but will need to replace it

Daprez
Post Number: 167

Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 5:45 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
They look like they came out OK. Nice Job!
1966 Barracuda, 318 V8, 904 AT, 7 1/4 rear, 4 Piston Kelsey/Hays Disc Brakes, 10 Rear Drum,TQ 4bbl, MoPar Electronic Ignition. (soon to be Fuel Injected and computer controlled ignition)
64ragtop
Post Number: 396

Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 11:58 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Nice job color matching! I'll have to do a bunch of that, the ragtop must have a half dozen shades of red.

Year One has armrest bases. Other restoration houses may well, too. Or, you could do as Dustin is and use furd parts...

ATB

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Hell_fish
Post Number: 177

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 7:42 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
If the falcon armrests weren't so cool, I would use something else.

http://www.rickwrench.com/images-sounds/panelnew.jpg

Good job with the dye. I started doing one of my seats yesterday in gold. Metallics are trickier than standard colors, but you make due with what you have. Bob, a few cans of red and a day should have your Dart color matched. Seats are the hardest. Pick of my seat in my journal.
https://sites.google.com/site/hellfish65/bg
64ragtop
Post Number: 397

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 4:05 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Ha! Just yankin' your chain, Dustin! That IS a nice looking armrest... And by the way, I've always thought Falcons were cool, especially these!

http://bangshift.com/gallery/hubert-platts-georgia-shaker-iii-1965-falcon-afx-gallery.html?pid=61032

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Js2md0OGl38/RVd0Xx7pABI/AAAAAAAAClw/Ygzs6eA7bzg/w652-h391-n-k/pwb3.jpg

(And google WOULD make ya cut & paste the url)

ATB

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Hell_fish
Post Number: 178

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 7:13 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I know Bob. :-) I mean, half my collection is Ford.