TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Steering column diagram?

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through March 04, 2012 » Steering column diagram? users admin

Hell_fish
Post Number: 165

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 8:47 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Im trying to take apart my column to paint and can't figure it out. Is there a diagram that would show this?
Fstfish66
Post Number: 496

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 9:31 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
what cant you get apart ??
remove the steering wheel,,,with a puller,,,then the horn switch,,then there is a clip,,,been years cant remember if it is a C clip or snap ring that holds the shaft in to the column,
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Hell_fish
Post Number: 166

Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 9:31 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Seems that the C clip is giving me problems.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 497

Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 10:15 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
yup it can be a bear to get out some times,,,its been a super long time since i did one of those,,, but try releiving some of the tension on the C clip moving the inner shaft up or down A tad,,,pry it out and make sure your in an area where you can see it if it shoots out,, if i had a extra column ide do it just to walk you thru it,,}
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Hell_fish
Post Number: 167

Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 10:05 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Got it out today. Next question is can you remove the wire harness to the turn signal cam without cutting or unpinning the cable?
Garys
Post Number: 8
Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 4:33 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Yes. Before you attempt to remove it, tie a long, strong cord around the wires, stagger the contacts for a couple of inches along the cable so the diameter is reduced, and then wrap it all with masking tape to protect the contacts and prevent them from hanging up.

The cord will allow you to maneuver the cable as you pull it out, and it can then be used to pull the cable back into the tube when you reinstall everything after painting.
Hell_fish
Post Number: 168

Monday, October 31, 2011 - 9:27 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
So I have to unpin the connector?
Garys
Post Number: 9
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 4:24 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Yes, the contacts have to be removed from the connector.
Pishta68
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 26
Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 8:40 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Its EZ once you get one out, use a jewelers screwdriver or finish nail to push up into the contact, thatll release the little lip that keeps it in the plastic plug and itll back out. Take a pic or draw a diagram so you get them back in the same order, If you get lost, they match the female socket color for color. Once you get the wires out, you can pull the shaft all the way out and replace whatever you need. The coupler rubber seal comes to mind as does the column seal. Just did mine so its still pretty fresh. On installation, the square head bolts wedge the column to the trim ring, took me a few hours to check that as it looks like i missed a piece, but its just those weird bolts. I would take digital pics of every phase of this, especially the turn signal cancel piece and the order the washers go back on. My turn signal rod went back on but I dont know of there is supposed to be a lock nut on the end. If I tighten it up, then the cancel cam doesnt work. If I back it off a little, then its loose? LEt me know what you find.
Bc97423
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 26

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 9:24 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Lots of diagrams on line or Motors Manual
Cain & Sons Mopar's