TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Dash Panel?

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through September 26, 2010 » Dash Panel? users admin

Shrug
Post Number: 62
Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 6:11 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
My plastic dash panel is off-white, the color of plastic. What color is it supposed to be?
Make sure you follow my restoration blog!
http://barracuda64.blogspot.com/
Brion
Post Number: 133

Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 6:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
"chrome". One of the guys here used dupli-color chrome spray with success; but don't clear coat it.
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 132

Friday, April 16, 2010 - 5:50 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I tried the Dupi-chrome on my plastic dash it looked great but when you went to clean it why it would come make the cleaning rag black just like it was coming of it finally turned gray so I regid it and clear coated it well then it turn gray right away. So I took it off. being on a limited budget I then took the dupi-color mirage paint and painted it. I used the kit which cost under $30.00 I used the ICE Mirage color but it comes in several different colors. It is holding up really good. I get lots of complements on it but it is not for the purest but a alternative to waiting the time to have it chromed and paying big bucks. So it maybe some thing you will want to try. You can get it at most parts stores. I would not use the chrome paint. When I first used it I got all excited and posted it here and then later posted a retraction here about using the chrome dupi color on your plastic. I later contacted dupi color and the said it would not work on the plastic so there is my 2 cents worth.
Hope this helps. George
Shrug
Post Number: 63
Friday, April 16, 2010 - 6:10 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Actually I forgot all about the Duplicolor. I have used their Metalcast paints before with great success.
Even did a set of blue anodized valve covers before.
Hell_fish
Post Number: 152

Friday, April 16, 2010 - 6:14 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
http://sites.google.com/site/hellfish65/Home/misc

Scroll to the bottom of my page and check out the armrest I silver leafed. All the items are at Hobby Lobby. I will be doing my gauges and have done the radio bezel. You only have to do the outside lip, since the main part of the panels are argent silver. Be warned, it wont be perfect. It looks like old chrome once on because of the overlap lines and such.
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1310

Friday, April 16, 2010 - 10:20 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Years ago I did mine with Krylon Dull Aluminum and it's held up great. Not completely original looking, but nice. I did the arm rests the same. The arm rests need redoing every few years as they wear down from normal use.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://www.enbro.com/cuda
Terryr
Post Number: 79

Friday, April 16, 2010 - 3:06 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
im a sucker,,,ive bought the e bay parts for my car,,they are verey expensive ,,but nice ,other parts .go for the chrome paint ,but give it a long time to dry,,,,,ie a day or to ,,,crohome paint is crap,,,once its done ,dont touch it ,coz its very delicate ,and still looks crap
Mikes
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 24
Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 5:04 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I tried different chrome paint nothing looked good. So I sent it to Auto Instruments they did a super job but a little pricey. It will make your dash stand out. If you like I can post what it looked like before I started with and what I have now.
Mojack
Post Number: 190

Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 5:25 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Absolutely, we need pics Mike.
Terryr
Post Number: 83

Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 3:02 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
the process is called vacum metalizing,,ive looked into this and it seems very spensive,,,so ive taken to laying in bed and thinking about having it done,,seems a cheaper option,,,mind you the magazines are pricey
Mikes
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 25
Monday, April 19, 2010 - 2:45 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Tried to post pictures but they are to big not sure on how to make smaller?
Shrug
Post Number: 64
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 7:39 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Send your pics to shrug@cox.net and I will fix them for you.
Mikes
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 28
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 6:15 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Tony, How did you make out with fixing the Pictures?
Shrug
Post Number: 65
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 7:53 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I never got them.
Jameybro
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 22

Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 3:43 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey Guys, After a lot of reading about chrome paints and all that, I tried it and wasn't thrilled. I ended up having Mr. G's do the plating on my dash bezels. I'm pretty happy with the job. I took everything apart myself, stripped the plastic with Purple Power cleaner and sent it to him along with the clear plastic which he polished too. I'm gonna bite the bullet and just buy new armrest bases. Here's a pic...
Jamey
1965 Barracuda Formula S
2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummins
Mojack
Post Number: 194

Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 4:16 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
That looks very nice. Where did you get the steering wheel cover ?
Jameybro
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 23

Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 4:26 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Mojack, it's just a generic leather wrap found in a parts store. I first wrapped the wheel in one of the real cheap vinyl covers (minus the vinyl cord) to give it some 'cushion' and then sewed the leather one over it. Took about two hours to get it right and my fingers were poked and raw by the time I finished :-) It feels good under the hand and looks decent I think. BTW, I had the wheel off the column when doing this. Thanks for the compliment.
Jamey
1965 Barracuda Formula S
Brion
Post Number: 134

Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 6:30 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The dash and wheel looks great - isn't the radio from a '64?
Keith_mopar
Post Number: 203

Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 8:11 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Jameybro that steering wheel looks great, but then so does the dash.
Keith Mopar
99-Ram 96-Avenger 91-Shadow 91-Daytona 89-Shadow 74-Duster 65-Cuda 92 Lebaron convertible
www.moparmagic.net
Hell_fish
Post Number: 154

Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 8:58 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
So, you took out the lenses yourself? What did you do to do that and how did you put it back together?
Jameybro
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 24

Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 1:36 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for the kind words...
Yeah, I found the radio for $15 on ebay. It doesn't work but looks right :-) I had the radio bezel plated along with dash bezel. I'm considering cutting the inside of it out and installing a modern radio and having the original bezel surround the new one...

I removed the lenses by cutting the 'welds' on the back side with a sharp knife. I reinstalled them with a heavy duty hot glue. The center trims are tacked on with hot glue also.

I painted the inside of the pot metal instrument pod white to give it good reflection from the dash bulbs.
Jamey
1965 Barracuda Formula S