TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

TORSION BAR REMOVAL

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through October 05, 2009 » TORSION BAR REMOVAL users admin

Go4toyz
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 22

Friday, September 11, 2009 - 3:59 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I have relieved the tension off the bars and am now ready to remove the bars. I tried the vise grips with no luck and do not want to score them. Does anyone have any ideas or where in Arizona can I rent that tool. Any ideas-CLIF!!
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1297

Friday, September 11, 2009 - 4:03 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I've seen homemade tools made with a u-bolt and some metal hanging down. You clamp the u-bolt around the bar then hammer on the metal, so you're not actually hammering on the torsion bar.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://www.enbro.com/cuda
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 83

Friday, September 11, 2009 - 6:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
What ever you use to remove the bars DO NOT chip the paint or strike the bars. I would use two pieces of high speed moly with a vee notch in them to put around the bar make it wide enough so you can clamp the moly good then put a piece of angle metal between two of the bolts so you have something to hit and drive the bars out. Just be really care full not to damage the paint or strike the bar. You can also use two pieces of wood bolted together but I would not clamp the bars to the wood or moly with u-bolts as you run the risk of chipping or scratching the paint. Just my two cents worth and the way I pulled my bars. Good luck
Keith_mopar
Post Number: 178

Friday, September 11, 2009 - 7:38 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Mancini sells the correct tool for 33 dollars.
Or you can get the complete front end kit for early a for 200. Summit and Jegs also sell the complete kit. When I got my complete kit it was on sale for 140. If you are rebuilding the front end, buying the kit is the way to go.
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/frsuto.html
Keith Mopar
99-Ram 96-Avenger 91-Shadow 91-Daytona 89-Shadow 74-Duster 65-Cuda 92 Lebaron convertible
www.moparmagic.net
Codfish
Post Number: 80
Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 12:58 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I've got the tool set (incl torsion bar removers) from Layson's if you're going to redo bushings etc. Glad to loan it! -STU-
Rgp266
Post Number: 15
Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 8:32 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Did you also release the tension on the strut rods?
Go4toyz
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 23

Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 9:08 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for all the help. I'm off to Home Depot to get some UBolts. If that doesn't work I'l buy the tool.
Go4toyz
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 24

Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 1:14 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
U bolts didn't work so I bought the tool off of eBay. Had both control arms off in less than two hours. The right tool for the job always helps.
Keith_mopar
Post Number: 187

Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 7:08 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Boy I think in way way or another we have learned that!!!!

Good to here it worked for you.
Keith Mopar
99-Ram 96-Avenger 91-Shadow 91-Daytona 89-Shadow 74-Duster 65-Cuda 92 Lebaron convertible
www.moparmagic.net