TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

I Need Expert Advice

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through October 05, 2009 » I Need Expert Advice users admin

Supercharged_sc
Post Number: 1
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 4:40 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hello,

Although I am a long time car nut and have restored many Ford products, I am new to Mopars – but bitten big by the ScatPack bee!

I an considering the purchase of a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger Chrysler 400 “B” engine, a 727 transmission, a 2001 Dodge Durango posi-trac (4:11) rear end, a Edelbrock Streetmaster 383 intake, Holly 4 bbl carb, race cam (unknown duration), MSD coil, and B&M floor shifter. It has a new paint job and newish leather interior. The only issue is some rust holes in the trunk and floor pans.

I am concerned with the combination of a 400 engine and 4:11 rear end, but I really like the car.

Can you give me any helpful pointers as to what to look for and a ball park figure as to what this beast may be really worth (although that is not paramount as I am purchasing to enjoy it and have some mid-life crisis fun!)

Any advice you can impart will be greatly appreciated…
Keith_mopar
Post Number: 177

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 8:10 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey welcome to the site supercharged. Without any pics it's hard to say what it's worth depending on the rust. But 8 to 12 is if the rust isn't to bad. All those panels you can buy. You could keep those gears and go with a 4sp auto or change it our to a 5sp stick for better highway cruising. As long as the frame is rust free the panels can be replaced. Search on here, some guys have some good examples of what can be done. I don't think Durangos came with 4:10's unless someone changes them out.

Good luck with your car..
Keith Mopar
99-Ram 96-Avenger 91-Shadow 91-Daytona 89-Shadow 74-Duster 65-Cuda 92 Lebaron convertible
www.moparmagic.net
Supercharged_sc
Post Number: 2

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 9:14 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Here are pictures of the engine and car.
The rust is only in the trunk floor and small area of front floor pans.

Engine

Car
Scottsman
"Scottish by birth, American by law,
Texan by the grace of God"
Supercharged_sc
Post Number: 3

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 6:54 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
"I don't think Durangos came with 4:10's unless someone changes them out.
"

You are probably correct - maybe it is a 3.92?
Scottsman
"Scottish by birth, American by law,
Texan by the grace of God"
Fstfish66
Post Number: 355

Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 9:35 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
3.92 were available in dakotas so i would think in durangos also,,
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Terryr
Post Number: 8

Friday, July 17, 2009 - 10:43 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
i like that ,them gears will be great round town ,but may drive you mad on the highway,i used to have 5,13s in my demon with a big block and a 4speed ,i could pull away in top ,and that was with a 33" tire,but it was good fun