TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

The horror of bad bodywork

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through July 15, 2009 » The horror of bad bodywork users admin

Troy
Advanced Member
Post Number: 31
Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 6:35 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I've posted a few times about my basket case 66 Cuda. Today I started the sand blasting on the rear fenders. The passenger fender was 1/2 to 1 inch thick in 3 layers of bondo!! The rear quarter was only partially rusted out but instead of fixing it the guy stuffed it with newspaper the used flathead screws to put a piece of aluminum bar over that, then fiberglass cloth, then the inch of bondo. There is a dent behind the door I thought was going to be rusted through, instead it is just a big dent the guy didn't fix and covered in 1/2 of bondo. I sandblasted for two hours and still didn't get through all the bondo on the fender. I looks like all I need are a couple of patch panels for the quarters, and a new dent puller to get the big dents out of the fender behind the door. The previous owner turned a relatively simple job into a nightmare by rigging things and slapping on tons of bondo. I tried to post a photo but the "infernal box" wouldn't cooperate with shrinking the photos to the attachment size required. I looked on craigslist and found a whole bunch of cars with 318's and 360's in em, thanks for the v8 swap advice to those who responded to my last post.
Daprez
Post Number: 75

Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 6:55 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
When I started into the rear 1/4's on my 66 Cuda, I found the last guy had used that home weatherstrip expanding foam. He sprayed it inside the 1/4 from the trunk, then fiberglassed over it, rust and all.

Before....
RR quarter panel

After foam removal.
Foam falls out

Its all steel now, but you have to wonder what some people are thinking when they try to "Fix" rust.
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Times Car Was At Carlisle: 1 (2008, Finally!)
Mojack
Post Number: 130
Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 7:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Not trying to one up you guys just sharing the pain:Screen door in my fender
Troy
Advanced Member
Post Number: 32
Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 5:56 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
That is great! I see I am not the only one dealing with this, those two pictures are about what it looked like, except the 1 inch of bondo covering the rest of the photo, haha.
Where did you guys get your patch panels from?
Mojack
Post Number: 131
Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 6:58 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Mine came from Laysons, others have seen them advertised by Year One. It's a commitment (or I should be committed ?):patch panel
Daprez
Post Number: 76

Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 7:08 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I also got mine from Laysons. About 7 years ago.
Auto Body Specialties is carrying them now too.

After
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Mojack
Post Number: 132
Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:23 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
and when you can't buy it....

inner lip
Daprez
Post Number: 77

Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 1:36 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Damn! That's what I call do it yourself! Nice work on the jig.
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Mojack
Post Number: 133
Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 2:36 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Sorry Troy, I'll quit taking over your thread with this one. The jig worked out for the inner fender because the lip wouldn't be seen and I could adjust the jig for different shapes:

inner lip
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1274

Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 3:26 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Wow, very impressive work you guys.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://www.enbro.com/cuda
Brion
Advanced Member
Post Number: 42

Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 5:57 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Looks Great - I will never restore another rustout, but I sure do admire the handiwork displayed here.
I have been spoiled by my west coast val
(See da veeps ride for super AZ clean!)
Fstfish66
Post Number: 348

Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:22 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
mojack,, very kool,,
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Brickman
Post Number: 67

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 2:58 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Nicely done MoJack, a little grinding here, a touch of filler there and she'll be looking good.
Useless
Post Number: 16
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 3:54 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I love this thread guys, makes me feel not so alone with my Valiant. It's got a lot of the same going on.

Nice work everyone!

Muaddib15
Advanced Member
Post Number: 32
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 5:08 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
[quote]I looked on craigslist and found a whole bunch of cars with 318's and 360's in em, thanks for the v8 swap advice to those who responded to my last post.[/quote]

Where did you get said advice? And do you have an automatic?
66 Barracuda with vinyl top all stock except for wheels. for now...

to be added at a later date:
bigger, wider wheels
360 sixpack
833 or Richmond 6 speed
Retrosound model one radio
Ricer's pwned egos >:D
Donc1965
Post Number: 396

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 7:09 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
When I had my 1966 Valiant Signet convertible, I had a little body work done. Both rear quarters replaced, both front fenders replaced and floors repaired. No more rusty cars for me, I got an education!

Don

1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
Troy
Advanced Member
Post Number: 34
Monday, June 15, 2009 - 7:26 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
HOLY MOLY YOU GUYS! I am sooo glad I posted this thread! You guys are like me with AMC. I have gotten a DA from a buddy and set it to GRIND mode to get through the bondo on mine, looks like I got some led also. I am also checking on a car for the engine swap (if the boss, err wife will go for it). Troy
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1277

Monday, June 15, 2009 - 10:05 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well I've posted these photos elsewhere, but I'll do it again here.

I bought this '69 Valiant a couple of years ago and promptly sold it to my friend Tom. We decided to fix it. it was sitting for about 20 years in a field.

We put in new frame, new floors, new inner rockers. Yes, I'd do it again. The time we spent in the garage talking and learning was golden...some of my best memories actually. Sure it was a lot of work, but rewarding.

Valiant1

Valiant2

Valiant3

Valiant4
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Troy
Advanced Member
Post Number: 35
Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 6:49 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I got a DA sander and used it on grinder mode to get the 2 inches of bondo on the passenger side fender off. I used a chisel on the drivers side to remove 2 1/2 inches of bondo that didn't even need to be there because there was no dent?!?
I found swiss cheese on the passenger side, the guy had used a cheapo dent puller to try to pull out the dent by drilling about 20 holes and pulling. He made a huge mess out of a simple dent fix.
Mojack
Post Number: 134
Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 8:02 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Good to hear your progress, got pics of the carnage ?
Brickman
Post Number: 69

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 6:29 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Nice work neilb, that is alot of work. I had to do my front but I wasn't as concerned in keeping it stock plus I had to add a hump.
Donc1965 is that your shop in the pics? I am dying to find out more about those stands. I have been trying to build something like that with no success yet.
Muaddib15
Advanced Member
Post Number: 33
Friday, June 26, 2009 - 10:38 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Whew, I'm glad mine came from the south, I didn't have any of these rust problems, just dents from my aunts and maybe mom.
66 Barracuda with vinyl top all stock except for wheels. for now...

to be added at a later date:
bigger, wider wheels
360 sixpack
833 or Richmond 6 speed
Retrosound model one radio
Ricer's pwned egos >:D
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1285

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 5:23 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'm no expert, but when you just want to drive and enjoy the car, you don't want to be doing lots of bodywork....but when it's your second car or a project, the bodywork can be a lot of fun and very satisfying. The Valiant was done mostly at night and Tom and I always had good music going, coffee, good conversations and lots of fun! Yes, it was hard and hellish, but the feeling of satisfaction is great too!

A great car in need of work is worth salvaging, in my opinion...but only if you have the time and patience.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario