TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Archive through April 16, 2009

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through July 15, 2009 » Charging system problems » Archive through April 16, 2009 users admin

Go4toyz
Post Number: 14

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 7:17 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Went to meet clif at the 83rd Ave car show on Saturday. It's been awhile. My battery was dead so I jumped it and drove down to checker, the young kid checked the alternator and said it was bad, I bought the alternator and regulator. Installed it, jumped started it and it is still not showing that it is charging. I turn the headlights on and it shows discharging. HELP!
Brion
Advanced Member
Post Number: 33

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 7:03 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'll take a stab at it.. Is your battery good (any dead cells) Using a voltmeter you can check cell to cell voltage. Hold the negative on the (-)terminal and put the positive lead into each cell. No cell should be higher than 2.0 volts. A very high or even a negative reading indicates a bad or shorted cell. You can also use a hydrometer. I would also check the field wire- it is the one with the spade connector that goes on the back of the alternator. Check for cracks or rubthrough on looms. Good luck
Donc1965
Post Number: 393

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 5:48 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Have your battery load tested to make sure it's OK. Also be sure to check for loose or corroded battery cables. They might look fine but if you pull back the insulation a little you might find some corrosion of the copper wires. With a voltmeter and the engine off, a good battery will measure about 12.6 volts. Once the engine is running, you should see closer to 13.9 volts. If I remember correctly, the ammeter is part of the charging circuit so a loose connection there will cause a problem too.

Don
1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
Go4toyz
Post Number: 15

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 8:59 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks I'll pull the battery and have it charged and checked.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 322

Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 11:52 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
heres one thing to remember,,ANY MOPAR built before 1970 does not show a charge at idle, it may be that your idle ia a little low,the early voltage regulators are not a constant charge,thats why at night at a traffic lite,your head lites seem to surge or go dim until you step on the gas to leave at the green lite.if your still showing discharge at a higher idle then start checking all other componets,,
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2006 chrysler pacifica
Daprez
Post Number: 57

Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 12:51 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Is that because of the "points type" voltage regulators? I have an electronic voltage regulator and I don't recall having the dimming at idle issue, of course it's been awhile since I drove the Cuda at night.
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Times Car Was At Carlisle: 1 (2008, Finally!)
Clifcuda65
Post Number: 222

Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 7:01 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi Ken...
I was wondering why I have not seen you around of late... If you don't figure it out shortly, I'll take a look at it!!!!
Fstfish66
Post Number: 325

Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 9:09 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
if you changed to the electronic ignition and use the bluse regulator ,,the blue reg is a constant charge regulator
2006 chrysler pacifica
Go4toyz
Post Number: 16

Friday, April 10, 2009 - 9:51 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
OK, I now have a new battery, alternator and voltage regulator. So much for the " R&R" method of fixin the problem. Now at least the car starts,but when I turn on the lights it is showing discharge even when I rev the engine.
?????????
Blues65
Advanced Member
Post Number: 32

Friday, April 10, 2009 - 6:08 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
If you put a volt meter on the battery, it should measure approximately +12 Volts. Then increase RPM slowly, you should see a very small rise in voltage, if the system is charging. From what you describe it may not charging. At this point, since you already R&Red everything; my usual plan of attack - is to re- check everything. The plastic field clip wires have a tendency to break or be hanging by one strand, look there.
Paul
"No one gets out of this place without singing the Blues"
Brion
Advanced Member
Post Number: 35

Friday, April 10, 2009 - 6:12 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It might be a bad dimmer switch- a 65 val I had many years ago had a badly corroded switch which caused excessive resistance in the circuit which caused dim lights and a discharge condition when the lights were on. It could also be the headlight switch. Both are still available through NAPA. The dimmer is cheapest..

Does it charge normally during daytime driving?
Brickman
Advanced Member
Post Number: 46

Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 9:31 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Could be a simple ground problem, loose wire or something. Is your engine ground wire tight? Check all the simple stuff no matter how unlikely.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 326

Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 11:25 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
there is usually a ground strap on the rear passenger side of the motor to the fire wall,,,lok at all connectors on the back of the alt,,was the area behind the regulator on the fire wall clean,or rusty ? see if a seperate ground wire from a mounting screw on the regulato to a good bare spot like to the frame or some thing,,then check the bulk head that is where all the wires plug in to the fire wall on the drivers side left of the regulator,,they get corroded and brittle
2006 chrysler pacifica
Clifcuda65
Post Number: 223

Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 7:01 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Ken, can you get your cuda over to my place?

clif
Brion
Advanced Member
Post Number: 36

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 7:49 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
any fix yet?!
Go4toyz
Post Number: 17

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 6:09 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It does not show charging when I attach a voltmeter. All the wires look to be OK. Could not find the ground strap on passenger side. Gonna drive over to Clif's, see if he has any ideas.
Brion
Advanced Member
Post Number: 37

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 6:57 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I am sure Clif will find the difficulty. There are several tests which can be run, but I will not list any here..Nice looking car by the way.
Let us know what the problem turns out to be.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 329

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 9:17 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
after you get the car started ,,disconect the positive battery cable,,if it runs its charging if it stalls its not charging
2006 chrysler pacifica
Brickman
Advanced Member
Post Number: 49

Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 8:10 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
There you go fstfish, a simple test. I talked to a guy that said his brother did that test on his 2003 chevy truck and fried the cpu! Exactly why I like the older cars.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 331

Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 10:17 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
wonder i fhe has gotten it fixed yet,,,
2008 chrysler pacifica