TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Power Brakes

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through July 15, 2009 » Power Brakes users admin

Barracudabad64
Advanced Member
Post Number: 31

Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:49 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I neet a guy who is new to the Mopar world and is fixing up his first 64 Barracuda and it is a 4 speed car with a blown 273 (rod outside of block) he is wanting to go to a 360 and upgrade his brakes from the current 9" to disc up front and 10" drums rear with a 83/4 rear end. He would like to get some input about what we all feel about going to power disc or staying with manual disc. He is going with the SS conversion disc kit but is undesided about the manual or power brake kit to order. I'm not a great fan of power brakes on are cars but I have never had a set up on any of my A bodies so I told him I would ask this group. I did tell him that several member have used the SS disc brake kits and like them I just didn't know about the power verse manual. any input would be great. He will be joining the group as soon as he gets his computer set up. Thanks George
Brickman
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 25

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 6:58 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I am still working on my car but planing 4 wheel disc and will be using power brakes. I am planning to use the powerbrake unit off a 73-74 duster, the unit I have seen looks like it will fit w/ my 273.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 237

Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:39 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
it all depends on if he wants to up grade the wheel bolt pattern at the same time or not,,,i run manual disc brakes from a 1973 and up A body,,stops great,with rear drums,,
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2006 chrysler pacifica
Barracudabad64
Advanced Member
Post Number: 33

Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:48 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for the replies the main thing he is concerned about is that if he goes to the power brake verse the manual brake is if it really nessary as the A body is such a light car compared to the B bodies and such. He will stay with the small bolt pattern wheels. Thanks for the help. George
Fstfish66
Post Number: 238

Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:54 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
well if he stays with the small bolt pattern,,i believe the rotor is smaller then on the bigger botl pattern,,,ide go to a dual master cylinder set up,,,not a single resoviour
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2006 chrysler pacifica
Barracudabad64
Advanced Member
Post Number: 34

Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:18 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
He is planning on the SSB disc kit for front brakes it comes with a dual master cylinder and also you can go 4 on 5 or the 41/2 on 5 bolt pattern. right now he has a small bolt pattern 83/4 rear end and is changing the front-ent to except the spindles from a 10" brake 70 A body,and will run the small bolt pattern on the front so he will only need one size spare tire. I think from talking to him that he has desided to stay with the manual brakes. Thanks for all the input he and I really appreciate it.
Clifcuda65
Post Number: 178

Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 6:10 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I have the SSBC kit on my 65 cuda and the rotor does come with the small & large bolt pattern... All you do is knock the studs into the pattern you decide. The kit comes with the 7/16-20 and the 1/2-20 studs. It also comes with the dual master cylinder, but I used the light weight MC from the Direct Connection catalog. Also kit comes with adjustable proportion valve.

You do not need power brakes on these early A-bodys in MY opinion! Less weight on the front end and more HP for the rear wheels!

Rotor & MCAdj ValveMC
Barracudabad64
Advanced Member
Post Number: 35

Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 6:29 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey all thanks for the information and opinions concerning manual or power brakes. I just talked with the guy and he has ordered the SSB kit for his 64 and is staying with the manual system. I had told him that you had the SSB on your 65 Clif and showed him the old pic. you had posted right after you installed them I think that was the deciding factor for him. Any way thanks to all of you for your input. George
Clifcuda65
Post Number: 179

Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 6:38 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I do recommend the Heat Shield for the dual MC. And I plumbed my Adjustable Proportion Valve under the car as not to be seen... Keeps things more stock looking topside... Not every one knows these came with a single bowl.

Oh, the SSBC rotor is 11 inch... no matter what size bolt circle you select for your wheel... and it STOPS the cuda pretty quick. ANd you can easily change your mind on the bolt circle by just knocking out one set of lugs and installing the other. My kit was the 153-2 installed in 2003 and by the way... I use DOT 5 brake fluid and have never had ANY problems... But I replaced EVERYTHING... Wheel Cyl/SS Lines/MC etc. So there was no chance of contamination from DOT 3/4

Heat shieldplumbing
Barracudabad64
Advanced Member
Post Number: 36

Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:34 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Clif thanks for the installation tips I'll pass them onto him. George