TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Rear Deck Adjustment

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through January 16, 2009 » Rear Deck Adjustment users admin

Barracudabad64
Post Number: 14

Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 7:15 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I have a 65 Barracuda that the rear deck is up above the rear body line by about 1/4" and I would like to find out how do you go about lowering the upper deck edge so that it alines with the rest of the body. Is there shimms that go under the body side of the hinge mounting point or what my sevice manual doesn't address this adjustment. Thanks
Fstfish66
Post Number: 208

Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:25 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
do you meen the trunk lid is higher then the body ??there should be no shims under the hinge,but they are pron to crack on the bottom side of the lid in the hinge area,,
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2006 chrysler pacifica
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 15

Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:55 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Yes that is what my problem is. I don't have any shimms currently. and I'm trying to figure out why my trunk lid sets higher than the body where the hinge is. I thought there might be a way to adjust the hinge of lid to match up with the body. but I'm gathering from what you are saying is it maybe a problem with the hinge surface of the trunk lid? thanks.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 211

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 4:16 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
well i would remove the lid,from the hinges,,if you can,scribe a line around the trunk lid metal,before you unbolt the lid,so you can be fairly close when you reassemble it,,then scribe a line around the hinge on the car,you may not need to remove the hinge from the car, you may have a cracked hinge surface area on the lid.
after the lid is off the hinge,with the hinge still on the car, look at the lid surface on the hinge,,see if it is flat or curved??? your hinges may be bent,i have several extra hinges and some are curved,, bent,, i have no clue as to why or how they get bent,,good luck
2006 chrysler pacifica
Brickman
Post Number: 7

Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:39 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Can you rebuild those hinges?
Barracudabad64
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 23

Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:51 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I don't have bent hinges I took the deck off and found that under the hinge on the drck side there was cracks I couldn't see before taking it off, so I'm going to try straightening and then welding up the cracks. I did check the hinges and the are straight. I suspect that the deck had been forced closed down when there wasn't enough clearance for the objects in the trunk. At any rate thanks for the tip on what to look for Don.
64_barracuda
Advanced Member
Post Number: 33

Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:03 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Don,

I too had this problem with my 64, someone tried closing the trunk with the prop rod up. After I got the lid off I cleaned the cracks up real good and took some 1/4" 3x3 stock out and bolted it in place of the hinge, I un bolted the stock, welded the crack together, cleaned it up and stuck the lid back on. It was pretty close but not perfect so I took the hinge and ground the lid side down a about 1/8th, pretty close can't really tell from the other "good" side.

Hope it helps.
Rick
Rick.Mopar@gmail.com
757-450-4907
"Chevy's and Ford's are like Belly Buttons.... Everyone has One"
1964 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Dodge Adventurer
http://www.tidewatermoparclub.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2511648
Fstfish66
Post Number: 218

Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 7:22 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
rebuilding the hinges ?? al depends what is wrong,usuall these hinges are over looked at maintence time,,the pins usually freeze up and they break much like a house door hinge. if you can drill out the old pin in both halfs of the hinge ,and replace it with a pin,or a bolt they will work again,,
2006 chrysler pacifica