TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Temp control cable

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through January 16, 2009 » Temp control cable users admin

Guppy
Post Number: 94

Monday, September 15, 2008 - 7:42 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Can anyone point me in the direction of a new temperature control cable? I've looked thru the usual suspects (Year One, Herb's) and have not come up with anything yet.
www.tdiclub.com
Online club for VW diesel enthusiasts
Daily driver: 1999 VW Golf GLS TDI
49 mpg / 143hp / 273ft-lbs
Codfish
Post Number: 51
Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:20 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I think you could probably save a bunch o'dough and time by just going to your local small engine repair place and cutting one that fits a lawnmower to your needs..they use them for everything from throttles to chokes to.....you know...and I'll bet they're plenty long enough. If not I might have a used one in the basement-STU-
Guppy
Post Number: 95

Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:40 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The clip that used to hold the cable in is no longer functional, either. How would I get around that?
www.tdiclub.com
Codfish
Post Number: 53
Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 6:00 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Those clips are probably brutal to find...if there's room for a screw they make generic ones for power equipment so you could probably get one at the same place you buy the cable...or, in a pinch I used to use a washer bent a bit on one side. Gettin chilly up here; good luck!
Donc1965
Post Number: 363

Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 6:28 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Is this the same type clip? This ebay auction is too expensive, but a Mustang parts distributor might have them.

http://tinyurl.com/3ndybu

Don

1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1187

Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:50 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
What clips are you talking about? I have a bunch of spare stuff...maybe I have one for you?
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://cuda.enbcom.com
Guppy
Post Number: 96

Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:31 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Yep, it looks like that only the screw hole is much smaller. In fact, I haven't found a screw to fit the hole on the other side (where the clip screws to.) I was able to locate a very small nut & bolt set to do the job if needed. My clip's tab is broken.
www.tdiclub.com
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1189

Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:53 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Is that on the top of the heater box? I have a heater box for parts...I'm sure it's there. Let me check later today...
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://cuda.enbcom.com
Cool6
Post Number: 13

Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:07 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Try going to your local bike shop. They should have teflon coated cables that wont rust. the teflon makes them opperate much smoother too. The bike shop should have the right tools to cut the cable housing and cable so its not pinched. As for the clips you might get lucky at the bike shop there too. I dont think they would be hard to make.
Guppy
Post Number: 97

Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 1:47 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well... after waiting for it to fix itself I decided to put the big girl panties on and figure out what needed to be done to get me some heat...!

Thanks for the hint about taking out the radio - that really cleared the way. Once I had the cable out, my husband and I decided to try a fix on it since the cable part itself was fine, just the outer sheath was screwed.

We put a few layers of shrink wrap tubing over the area in question and reinforced the other side too since it was out and had a few cracks in it. We were able to 'make' a clamp out of a picture hook and with some very tiny nuts & bolts screwed it all back together. So now I am (almost) not screwed for heat...

...where's the best place to get some new defroster duct hose?
www.tdiclub.com
Guppy
Post Number: 98

Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 2:04 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It's not elegant... but it works! (for now...)

clip & cable fix

Thanks to everyone who responded! I see where the other cables would probably have worked as well. I'm just glad we could still use the stock part...with a little tweaking.
www.tdiclub.com
Mojack
Post Number: 102
Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:34 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Excellent! That looks very good to me.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 189

Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 8:24 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
now thats useing your head,,,i hope the picture you took the hook from wasnt any good lol
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2006 chrysler pacifica