TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Archive through July 09, 2008

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through September 05, 2008 » Carlisle 2008 » Archive through July 09, 2008 users admin

Guppy
Post Number: 68

Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:41 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
So, this will be my first time actually being *in* the show...really just to get good parking ;-)

How many of you are going and are we planning on meeting up?
www.tdiclub.com
Online club for VW diesel enthusiasts
Daily driver: 1999 VW Golf GLS TDI
49 mpg / 143hp / 273ft-lbs
Donc1965
Post Number: 339

Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:45 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'm planning on being there. I'm sure we'll run into each other at the "tent". I know Becca, Roger and Lenny are going. There's a topic already started for Carlisle 2008 here:

http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/951/3675.html?1213243608

Looking forward to seeing your Barracuda in person.

See you there,
Don
1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
Beccaruda65
Post Number: 17

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:16 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Don is correct. We usually have a nice little group. The tent moves around from year to year, but you'll find us! We often have a breakfast and/or dinner together, too. Looking forward to meeting you!
Guppy
Post Number: 70

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:15 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
So...could you spell this out for the newbie...?

There's an EVBC tent...do you just hang out there or should I 'check in' there? And what of this Middlesex Diner breakfast? Where is it and which day do you go?

We're staying in Harrisburg and coming out Sat am.

Thanks for your (anticipated) patience with all these questions!
www.tdiclub.com
Beccaruda65
Post Number: 19

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:35 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi Guppy,
You will register at the entrance to the fairgrounds. Carlisle is VERY organized, and they will direct you to the proper parking area. The tent is usually located by Plymouth A-Body Stock 1964-66. Sometimes stock and modified are next to each other; sometimes they aren't. It's kind of a drag when they're not together because there are EVBC members in both categories.

As for the tent, it's a mellow thing. People stop by and hang out. Feel free to bring chairs and a cooler and use it as base camp. If you buy parts in the swap area, it's fine to keep them at the tent.

There's no real schedule for meals. Seems to me we usually go for Mexican on Friday night, but I'm going to the drag races this year, so I may miss it.

The Middlesex Diner is a great, classic PA diner on Route 11. There's often a breakfast or two there. TBA.

Carlisle is the most friendly and organized show I've been to. This will be my 7th year. Even the porta-potties are clean. I live 20 miles away from the Mopar Nats, and I'll miss that show before I'll miss Carlisle (400 miles away).

Get ready for hours of talking about slight variances in gas caps and gauges!

BTW, where are you driving from?
Guppy
Post Number: 72

Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:18 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
We're coming from East Hampstead, New Hampshire. It's going to be a long week for us. The weekend after Carlisle is the Syracuse Nationals which we've attended for the past 3 years. We'll have just enough time to visit family in Baltimore after Carlisle, go home, repack and head to Syracuse!

Oh, and I refuse to trailer my car - I'm driving!

Thanks so much for the run down - it really helps.
www.tdiclub.com
Beccaruda65
Post Number: 20

Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 7:28 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Wow - long trip from New Hampshire!

I'm like you - I always drive my car. (I head out in a convoy from Ohio with friends from the Mopar Mailing List. I envy the AC and satellite radio they have in their rigs, but I DO enjoy that my car is a driver.)

I grew up in the Baltimore area (Columbia, MD) and I sometimes visit family before or after Carlisle, too, but not this year.

Looking forward to meeting you. This time next week, I'll be just about in Washington, PA.

-Becca
1965 Plymouth Barracuda 273
2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 6-speed
Columbus, OH
Guppy
Post Number: 73

Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:34 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Question - I registered for Carlisle online,
but will I get any confirmation via mail?
www.tdiclub.com
Beccaruda65
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 23

Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:48 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I always register online, and I receive verification through the USPS on a postcard... but I registered months ago. Not sure what happens if it's this close. (Three days!)
Columbus, OH
66ragtop
Post Number: 79
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:12 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Guppy,

You're in E. Hampstead? I'm in Raymond.
Mpgfanatic
Post Number: 2

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:53 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
> Get ready for hours of talking about slight variances in gas caps and gauges!

Not to mention the comparing of key styles, as we all left the Middlesex Diner one morning... :-)
Comparing Keys
64 Valiant 4dr, 170 slant six 3-on-the-tree
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 with 5 spd (giggle)
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1152

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:53 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'll miss you guys, hopefully I'll see you next year.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://cuda.enbcom.com
Guppy
Post Number: 75

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:45 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Raymond??! We drive through there all the time!

I can't believe we haven't run into you yet!

And that picture is priceless! Reminds me of our diesel club people... we're always comparing weird stuff!
www.tdiclub.com
Beccaruda65
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 25

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:41 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hmmm... where was I during the key comparison get together? My key looks like the one on the far left. I can't identify the hand model.

Neil and Erik, we will miss you both!

This time tomorrow, I'll be in eastern PA with about 3.5 more hours to drive.
Columbus, OH
Mpgfanatic
Post Number: 3

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:51 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
> Hmmm... where was I during the key comparison get together? My key looks like the one on the far left. I can't identify the hand model.

Hee hee! Becca, you were there... I distinctly remember you laughing at us for comparing something so silly. You're at the 8 o'clock position holding the Marshmallow magic. I'm at the 1 o'clock, dressed in my finest restaurant footwear.

To identify the others, I needed to go back to other photos taken the same day (this was 2004) to see how people were dressed. At 11 o'clock is definitely Craig holding the key for Granny, and at 3:00 I would say that's Lenny. Which leaves only the 5:00 person... I'm guessing DonC. He and Roger would have been at the restaurant that morning also, but he would have had the key to his gorgeous green Fury whereas Roger I believe was limited to "spectator status" in a Nissan or something. Hey, at least he made it for the fun. This year he'll be riding in style! (AND getting a good parking place.)

Here's my research info, for anyone else who wants to take a trip down memory lane... It'll also help any newcomers who want to understand the flavor of the tent gathering.
tent1
errr... all I know for sure are Roger and Becca, in the center.
tent2
Seated (and happily munching) are Chad, Craig, Lenny, Don
Beccaruda65
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 26

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:23 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Heh - pretty sad that I didn't remember that OR recognize my own hand! But I do know what my key looks like!
Columbus, OH
Beccaruda65
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 27

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 2:14 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Oh yeah - in regards to the top group photo... that's ex-EVBC member Gary V on the left side, Gary V's girlfriend's son's head on the bottom, and I *think* that's Gary K's head in the right-hand corner.
Columbus, OH
Guppy
Post Number: 76

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:57 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Is that a grill I see in the background?

That would make life so much easier...and affordable! We'd be glad to bring grillables to share.

Getting excited now - packing tomorrow and on the road early Friday...
www.tdiclub.com
Mpgfanatic
Post Number: 5

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:52 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
> Is that a grill I see in the background?

Oh that is so funny. My first thought was, "Yea, anything's possible, though I don't remember seeing a Valiant grille on the ground. I'll have to go examine the picture again."

It's not uncommon to see people bringing spare parts to the tent... Neil's been famous for that, and others have joined him. Whether it's an extra arm rest or window crank brought from home, or else they find something for a good price at the swap meet and carry it back to see if any club member has a need... On the other hand, if it's a really big or expensive item, it's easier to just make a note of what aisle and swap space you saw it, and maybe it'll still be available when a fellow club member goes to look.

I'm becoming ever more sad that I'll miss this year's excitement. These are a bunch of really good, friendly people.

- Erik
Donc1965
Post Number: 342

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 6:14 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'll be on the road early Friday morning too. I'm leaving from CT and taking I84 west to I81 south. Here's a picture from 2005. From left to right: Neil in the blue shirt, his friend Tom (out of view behind Neil), Erik (barefoot as usual, I don't know how he walks on that gravel!), Craig (with his back to us), his son Chad and me with my hand on the fender.

See ya there,
Don

1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT