TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

5.7 Hemi Engine Swap Install

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through May 15, 2008 » 5.7 Hemi Engine Swap Install users admin

Dalerich
Post Number: 10

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 8:56 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi all.

I have been looking for any information about swapping a newer 5.7 Hemi into one of our small A-bodies, and have had no luck. Anyone have any leads or know of someone else attempting such a swap? I'm planning to buy a wrecked vehicle (Charger, 300, or Magnum) Then I will have every thing I need. I want to use the Engine, Trans, Computer, Gas pedal, and maybe the gauges. I just don't want to be, nor do I think I am, the very first to try such a thing.

I have the engine dimensions and it looks like the fenders will be ok, the Transmission tunnel and firewall may need some work. But that is about all I know. I know there must be someone other there with "Don't do that, do this..." knowledge

Thanks for any assistance.
-Dale
65valiant
Post Number: 79

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:35 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Dale...here's a guy that put one in a 2nd gen A-Body. Its not an early, but he may have some insight. His nick is Bakaruda.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,25393.msg238589.html#msg238589
Darwin/Victoria BC/Canada

'65 Cdn Valiant Custom 100 'vert
170/factory A833...eternal project

'67 Dart GT 'vert
273/904...now with "Collector" status

Donc1965
Post Number: 290

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:41 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
There's some discussion here:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,17413.0.html

Don
1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 963

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:52 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
This guy here has put early hemis into different cars and I spoke to him once about a hemi in an early A and he says they'll fit. Read his page at
http://hometown.aol.com/erlihemi/HemiBoak.html
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://cuda.enbcom.com
Dalerich
Post Number: 11

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:31 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I have been trying become a member of the bigblockdart forum for over 3 months now so I can connect with him. I have yet to get any response from an admin of it. Time to request an account again.
Dalerich
Post Number: 12

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 5:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey! I got in. Looks like there have been more 5.7 posts in the last few months. Thanks!
Keith_mopar
Post Number: 108

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 6:25 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Here is another guy putting a Hemi ina 64 Dart, lots of good pics as well.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=19789
Keith Mopar
99-Ram 96-Avenger 91-Shadow 91-Daytona 89-Shadow 74-Duster 65-Cuda 92 Lebaron convertible
www.moparmagic.net
Dodgenut64
Post Number: 1
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:01 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey, just joined and this is my first post. The link above goes to my 64 dart project. As you can see the new hemi will fit in the early a-body, but there is a few things you have to do. First off, i do not have the original k frame, Im using the Alterktion along with motor mounts from the same company (Rielly motor sports). That said im sure the orginal k frame will work but things will be tighter in a few more places. I know with 67-up abodies, if your using the orginal k frame, you can only use manual steering and have to cut the exhaust manifold a touch, youll also have to use a remote oil filter.

With the Alterktion, my oil filter clears so no need for a remote oil filter, and with the rack an pinion set up no steering clearance issues. Youll need to use a two bolt master cylander set up so that the master cylander will clear the rear driver side coil pack on the 5.7 hemi head. The truck 5.7 hemi is different then the 5.7 car hemi up front. The water pump and alternator and AC compressor are set up different. On the truck the alternator and AC compressor are mounted up high, and they clear the hood nicely. The car hemis compressor and alternator are mounted low. Im almost sure the alternator on the car 5.7 hemi would hit the flat flange part of the frame on the ealry abody. Itd real close on 67-up abodies, so it would most likely hit on an ealry a-body. You may be able to cut a notch out of that flat flange area for the alternator, but im not sure that would even make it clear. I guess if you had some fab skills you could somehow try to move the alternator up abit with some kind of bracket.
Regardless of what hemi you go with, the passengerside is the tight fit. Its a real tight fit, but i did some mods to make things nicer. The center and two valvecover bolts either rub or are two close to the fenderwell. What i did to change this was, I took a heating torch and gently hammered two smooth looking indentions in the fenderwell for the two valvecover bolts to each side of the center one. For the center one, i cut a square hole in the fenderwell so that the valvecover bolt could be accessed from under the fender. Now, i can take the valvecover off without raising the engine and things dont look so close. If your using the stock k frame, the shock maybe in the way.
Theres a few more things so ill post them if your interested.
Jim
Dalerich
Post Number: 13

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:39 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Tell me more, tell me more!!!

I was planning on using the original K-frame. Manual steering is what I want, so no problem there. It seems the Jeep manifolds may be tighter to the engine,and I am assuming I will need a custom oil pan to avoid the k-frame.

I just caught up on your thread on the other list. Very Nice. So far does not seem like there are too big of modifications. Keep posting the pictures, they really tell the story.
Dodgenut64
Post Number: 2
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:40 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I just noticed your looking for your engine from a donor car. Just remember the alternators mounted low on the car hemi so it might not clear the frame. It might only require you cut a section out of the flat flange part of the frame though. Also remember that the radiator for the truck hemi is different then the car hemi.
Im using the truck hemi and a 97 jeep grand cherokee radiator. As you may have saw in my other post, i modified the flange area down by the frame and made my oun brackets. You could have a custom radiator built, but i liked the look of the cherokee radiator, and its inlets and outlets match up to the rams. You could have a custom radiator built, but they are abit more.
Also if you use the transmission from the donor car, you will have to cut and modify your trans tunnel and make a new cross member i think.
Dalerich
Post Number: 14

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:58 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Even if I use a car Hemi, I should be able to get/make brackets like that used on a truck right? Or is it a thing that there are different bolting places on the block?
Dodgenut64
Post Number: 3
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 7:52 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Correct, the block is the same, its the intake manifold, timing chain cover and water pump that are different. I was thinking about bidding on a car hemi water pump and timing cover on ebay at one time to see just how it would fit. Ill say this Ive seen pics of a 6.1 (car hemi) in a 67 cuda and it did touch the flat flange of the frame area. My guess is you would have to notch out that area almost back to the frame itself in a early a-body. It wouldnt hurt anything to notch out the flat flange area, but cutting into the frame may not be a good idea. If you find a car hemi and discover its too tight, and want the truck hemi stuff, it would be an easy swap.