TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Factory A/C Evaporator mount

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Factory A/C Evaporator mount users admin

Cbusheyjr
Post Number: 75
Friday, July 06, 2018 - 6:54 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Iím installing a factory a/c unit in my 66 Barracuda and I am wondering how the mount for the evaporator unit is done in the firewall. Is it 4 separate holes - 2 for studs and 2 for tubes, or is it cut different. I have all the rest cut and fit but now need to cut in for the evaporator fittings. Any help would be appreciated.
C_onvx4
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 23

Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 4:23 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Do these pictures help?
I saved them because I am going to add factory AC to my 66. Haven't started yet.
C_onvx4
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 24

Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 4:24 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Lets see what yo have done so far.
Cbusheyjr
Post Number: 76
Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:22 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for the pictures - yes they tell me what I needed to know. I originally had just the standard Heater Box with an under the dash mounted A/C unit but when I installed a center console with Auto Shift (removed from steering column) the under dash unit wouldn't fit so I am converting to factory air. I had to remove the entire dash again so that I could work under there but at this time I have recut the hole for the fan motor since it is bigger for the AC unit and cut the hole for the air pipe to the motor as well as the four holes for the mounting studs to come through. I have managed to fit the box in under the dash and have created the template for where to mark and cut the holes for the evaporator. I've attached pictures of my progress thus far. Just need to figure out how to cut the evap holes to keep it clean. Hopefully this next weekend I can get that part done and start putting things back together. Thanks again for the photos. By the way, did they use a vacuum canister with the factory system or just a straight hose to the engine?
Original Htr Box Fan
New AC Fan Box
AC Box Template Fit
The Car
C_onvx4
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 25

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 4:44 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Looks great so far. What did you use to cut the big hole? I was going to use a 6" hole saw for it. Then a file for the three notches. The smaller holes I was also going to use a hole saw.
Cbusheyjr
Post Number: 77
Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 9:35 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
On the big hole I used my Sabre Saw. I had some metal blades and that worked great - cut like butter. I initially cut the hole smaller and then used a grinding stone to smooth out the hole and widen it for a good fit. I used a smaller grinding stone for the notches where the screws come through. The smaller hole I just used a drill and then small grinding stones on my dremel tool to clean up and get a good fit. For the evap lines I was thinking about trying to find a hole punch set to rent to make nice clean holes - I'm not sure if I have hole saws that size and besides most of my hole saws are for woodworking.

As soon as I get this A/C unit installed I will then be setting the engine and transmission in place both of which are already rebuilt and waiting to be put in. I wanted to make sure I had all the firewall stuff in place first - easier to work on.
Engine Build 1
C_onvx4
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 26

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 5:29 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
That looks very nice. I noticed your missing the alt pulley. This is little trick I learned to install the pulley on an alternator: Place the pulley directly on a 100 watt incandescent light bulb for ten - fifteen minuets. Turn the alternator so the shaft is face up. Using a thick glove drop the hot pulley on the shaft. let it cool before moving. RV-2 compressor or rotatory style? Are you going to use a fan shroud on your radiator?
C_onvx4
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 27

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 5:31 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
This might make your holes. https://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-10-pc-60575.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: