TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

How wide of a 15 inch wheel fits comf...

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » How wide of a 15 inch wheel fits comfortably. Front and rear. users admin

Vbcuda
Post Number: 1
Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 9:03 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Trying to get my car back on wheels and tires to get it to the body shop. 1965 Barracuda originally a 225 slant six engine 3 speed on the tree car. Apparently I got rid of the original 13 inch wheels(but still have a very nice set of original 13" hubcaps). Classic Industries has 15 x7,8,and 10 wheels available. I know originally they came with up to 7 inch wide wheels in either 13 or 14 inch wheels. Lots of other questions but this is a start. Thank you for any help. Barry Humo VBCUDA@aol.com
Mojack
Post Number: 420

Monday, February 20, 2017 - 6:18 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
To the best of my knowledge, the 14 inch rims came in 4.5 and 5.5 widths. Nothing wider from the factory. Many here have fitted wider wheels , maybe they'll post up the details for you.
65silverfish
Post Number: 57

Monday, February 20, 2017 - 8:50 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Going to depend on a lot of factors. Those rims give you width but not backspacing.

First, are you still running the factory drum brakes? The only way I was able to run 15 x 7's on my 65 was by installing the 76-78 Cordoba disc brakes and spindles which added almost 5/8" per side in track. I also ran 4 1/2" of backspacing in the front. In order to get the 15 x 7's to fit in the rear I had to go with 5 1/4" BS and I relocated the rear springs inboard 7/8" per side. Not happening with the factory setup or with centered wheels.

I am currently running 17 x 8 in front with 5 1/2" BS and 17 x 11 with 9" of BS in the rear, but I am also running an AlterKtion front end and relocated my springs to the frame rail (mini tubbed).

Let us know what the BS on those rims are but my first guess is they will not fit.
426 LA Stroker (Hughes), Alter-K-tion front end, Tremec TKO-600, hydraulic clutch, 8 3/4 w/3.55's, 245/45-R17 and 315/35-R17, 8-point roll bar and mini-tubbed. Previous best ET 11.82@119mph on 255/45-17 (pre-minitub) street tires

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: