TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Transmission upgrade

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Transmission upgrade users admin

Old_gas_dog
Post Number: 2
Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 5:15 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
How difficult/expensive is it to replace the 3 on the tree original transmission with a Hurst 4 on the floor on a 1965 or '66 Valiant or barracuda?
Also is a Hurst tranny hard to come buy?
Thanks, Old gas dog
Mojack
Post Number: 413

Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 4:35 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It can be difficult and expensive, partly depending on what you start with. The three on the tree /6 will at least have the clutch pedal and the frame side of the torque arm pivot already. If it's a v8 car it will have the torque shaft,linkage, clutch and bell housing. The '65 has a ball and trunion out put shaft and drive shaft(but can be converted to the following) whereas the '66 will have a slip yolk. Hurst didn't make the transmission, just the shifter, they are made by a company called New Process. The 4 speeds are called A-833. You can scout around on the net and sometimes people will collect the changeover parts and then not use it themselves, but sell them. Prices are all over the place from $500 to over $1000 depending on how complete all the parts are. I'm sure I've left out a lot of details and chime in one and all if I got any of it wrong, it's been a while since I did mine. I mixed and matched the year parts for mine and fabbed up some things. If your still in at this point your ready to cut into your floors. Your combo will dictate how much. ...but wait there's more, you could go all out aftermarket 5 or 6 speed if your in the money.
65silverfish
Post Number: 54

Friday, April 29, 2016 - 8:19 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Great A-833 summary Mojack.

Let me be the first to chime in regarding the Tremec upgrade. Yes it can be done but its not a bolt in. I made the conversion in my 65 Barracuda right when Keisler was first getting started with his E-body kits (roughly 2005). They STILL don't make an Early A-body kit if that tells you anything.

I can walk you through the process but it requires a fair amount of fabrication (removal of transmission tunnel and fabrication of a custom crossmember to start with) but nothing compared to some other mods. I went hydraulic clutch as well which creates some space for headers that won't be there with the torque shaft.

In either case it's a nice mod if you like to stir your own pot.
426 LA Stroker (Hughes), Alter-K-tion front end, Tremec TKO-600, hydraulic clutch, 8 3/4 w/3.55's, 245/45-R17 and 315/35-R17, 8-point roll bar and mini-tubbed. Previous best ET 11.82@119mph on 255/45-17 (pre-minitub) street tires
Old_gas_dog
Post Number: 3
Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 8:56 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for the info guys. If I understand correctly I'd need the A-833, shifter, clutch, etc.
What about the drive shaft length, is it the same for the 4sp as it is on the 3sp? Also would the tranny tunnel and shifter fit w/o cutting the floor panel? Old gas dog
Mojack
Post Number: 414

Monday, May 02, 2016 - 5:16 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It depends on what your starting with, whats your exact combo, year, motor, etc.
65silverfish
Post Number: 55

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 7:57 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
OGD, You'll likely need: A-body A-833 (they're getting hard to find), shift linkage (unique to the a-body and again, getting hard to find), a shifter and mounting pad, slip yoke and driveshaft (assume that you've got a ball and trunion style and you'll be going to slip yoke), bell housing and flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing and shift fork, torque shaft and attachments for the framerail and bellhousing, and if you want to lose the extra baggage a steering column.

Prepare to cut a hole (roughly a 5" circle) in the tunnel for the shifter to pass through though there should be a dimple in the existing tunnel showing you where the factory would have cut it. If you don't find A-body shift linkage be prepared to have to "massage" the tunnel for clearance in spots.
426 LA Stroker (Hughes), Alter-K-tion front end, Tremec TKO-600, hydraulic clutch, 8 3/4 w/3.55's, 245/45-R17 and 315/35-R17, 8-point roll bar and mini-tubbed. Previous best ET 11.82@119mph on 255/45-17 (pre-minitub) street tires
65silverfish
Post Number: 56

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 8:01 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Oh yeah, make sure you replace your pilot bushing while you're in there.
Old_gas_dog
Post Number: 4
Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 5:43 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Too much, too expensive. Thanks your excellent input. I am shopping for a '66 Cuda, preferably w/ the 225 slant. A manual tranny is a must for me. I could live w/ a three on the tree but the
A-833 is what I really want. I'd be OK w/ the 273. My 1st car was a '66 Valiant (44 yrs ago)
and I had a new '76 Dodge Sport Lite w/ the 4 sp overdrive. I restored a '48 Ford but it's only
dependable enough for cruise nights. The Barracuda I'm looking for will become my full time daily driver now that I'm retired.
Thanks guys for advise OGD

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: