TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Restoring a 1964 Valiant Convertible

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through July 17, 2003 » Restoring a 1964 Valiant Convertible users admin

Opus
Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 4:23 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Any horror stories or great successes out there? My car has the 273 v-8 and I've not ever seen another 64 convertible (up close) with the same configuration.
Dnic63
Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 3:29 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'm making my decision on buying one in very good condition this weekend - same config. But well travelled, and converted to right hand drive and restored for life in Australia where it arrived about 8 years ago.

See my post on seat belts - it's my major worry, and I'm probably going to have to get an engineer to look at the car to sort it out before I buy it. As a family man, am not going to drive around staring at a metal dash with no belts.

Will post pictures if I buy it
65valiant
Friday, February 22, 2002 - 5:40 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The main thing I would look at is the body sheetmetal. If its got little or no bondo or rust,then almost anything else can be fixed; motor,trans,interior,suspension are all relatively easy to fix. Take it from someone who's going thru it right now.I'm having lotsa trouble finding good rust and bondo free quarters for my '65 Valiant 100 convertible.

Darwin
Dnic63
Friday, February 22, 2002 - 11:19 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Just back from inspection of my potential 64 vert, but will not buy it.

Verdict was: pretty on the outside with danger lurking underneath.

Comments about body work are spot on - this one had a few bits that the old magnet wouldn't stick to! Restored 8 years ago, there was some blistering paint over the filler. Try getting original panels in Australia! Motor and trans and top were great, but steering, brakes, and shocks were shot, interior mostly OK. Had taken a hit on the left, windows on that side were recut glass.

Couldn't work out the windows: while the roof mechanism seemed good, there was a half inch gap above windows we couldn't close - on both sides. OK for current use as a Sunday driver but useless for me as a daily driver. How does your's seal up? Clunky windows or an alignment problem with the roof maybe

Feeling down this afternoon, as there would only be 5 of these in Australia at most, so I'm unlikely to find another. Few 'Cudas around, might see what we can find.
Neilb
Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 6:50 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Sounds like you made a wise choice.

Maybe you need to import one!?
65valiant
Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 12:42 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Dnic...when mine was together,the windows seemed to seal fine,assuming there was enough weatherstripping there,which there was not.Window sealing could be either one of the problems you mentioned,or a combination of the two,or just shrunken or missing weatherstripping.

Depending on where and the extent or the bondo/rust,Laysons Restorations makes a repair patch for the wheel lip section as well as the lower rear quarter portion behind the rear wheel.

If the floor pan is bad,as was mine,and if you can find a good 4 dr model,then you can use the whole floor pan from it to repair the 'vert floor.They are the same part.I drilled out all the spot welds in both cars and just welded the 4 dr floor pan into my 'vert. (Looks totally stock!)

Darwin
Neilb
Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 8:10 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Recently my wife and I were in Florida on vacation. We rented a 2002 Mustang Convertible. I would not want to own the car, but the convertible part made for one very sweet ride!

I'm now thinking about a Valiant Convertible all the time! Show us your photos!!
Dnic63
Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 5:42 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
OK, I'm becoming obsessed.

Neilb, here are some pics I've gathered.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dcornford/valpics.htm

And yes, it might have to be an import.
Hell_Fish
Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 7:16 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Good luck with your obsession. I have been hunting down a 64 Dart vert for a few years now.

Keep looking. You will find one.
Neilb
Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 1:18 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
ohh..sweet pictures! Love that red one. What I would love to do is get a black one with red interior, and make it look like a Barracuda. Then I'd have a black on red Barracuda and a black on red Barracuda convertible! :-)