TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Cabin Temp Tip

The Early A-Body Forum » General Discussions » Archive through August 31, 2015 » Cabin Temp Tip users admin

63valiant
Post Number: 51

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 7:35 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thought I'd share this with you guys. As you may know, I've been R&Ring my heater box, replacing the core, and cleaning my cowl vents in my '63. When I put it all together I decided to try a trick from the Days of Olde and put a shut off switch in the coolant line that supplies the heater core. I used 4 Seasons Part # 84706 around $15

With the coolant turned off I drove into town with my infrared thermometer. I checked the heater box temp with the gun, it was just over 94 degrees. (Ambient temp was around 94). Turned the valve on and drove home. Temped the box again and it was 135 degrees!!! You can see shutting that coolant of seriously reduced the heat entering the interior of the car. That alone should help in the hot summers. I plan on adding AC to this car so this can only help that work better.
Just a FWIW.

Daprez
Post Number: 296

Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 6:51 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
After my trip to Carlisle and feeling some hot air blowing in I can see where that would help. I really didn't need the defroster so not a issue.

Thanks for the info.
1966 Barracuda, 318 V8, 904 AT, 7 1/4 rear, 4 Piston Kelsey/Hays Front Disc Brakes, 10" Rear Drum, Throttle Body Fuel Injection with Computer Controlled Ignition