TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

64 Signet needs wheels and tires...

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » 64 Signet needs wheels and tires... users admin

Joeymadden
Post Number: 4

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 7:33 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I've asked this question on other forums yet I haven't gotten any stable answers. I know the style of wheel I need to use, yet the size either 16,17,18 is my dilemma in both wheels and tires. I am not a bling kind of guy compared to the sinister that I am...

just an ol'dude cruisin through life
Joeymadden
Post Number: 5

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 8:02 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
BTW, the hood is semi black, deadener added to the clear and although it appears to have a fuel filler on its driver side, the tank is actually 22 gallon fuel cell in the trunk. The tabs on the front bumper actually go through the bumper to the frame rails and are tow tabs used when trailer isn't available. The lights in the grill are driving lights and the parking lights as well as directional signals are enclosed into the headlights themselves. In the 25 or so years I've had this Signet, it was only in the first month of ownership I done most all of this work when I was back when I was in my 40's

64ragtop
Post Number: 455

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 11:01 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Mighty nice lookin' Valiant, sir! (I still like early Darts better, though)

Try a google search for: auto wheels 5 X 4" Lots of hits from several sellers of the wheel sizes you are wanting.

Don't be a stranger....

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Joeymadden
Post Number: 6

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:22 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The reason I have been a stranger here is because of the answers.. As far as looking up this on Google, I am not looking for sellers. How stupid of me to think that I would get answers from persons who have the same platform as I...
Donc1965
Post Number: 519

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 1:15 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Here's a Barracuda with 17" wheels. Has the back spacing measurement too. Also Wheel Vintiques make custom sizeBd wheels. Another manufacturer to check out is Coy"s.

http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/6315.html?1356505222
1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
64ragtop
Post Number: 456

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 3:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Guess I didn't understand your request properly. I offered what little I know, to be as helpful as I could. You said "I know the style of wheel I need to use,..." and the title of your thread says "...needs new tires and wheels..." So, I thought you wanted to obtain some. Sorry you were offended.

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Joeymadden
Post Number: 7

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 3:55 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thank you for the link, yet it doesn't really help my situation and I will explain why...

Actually the way my car is setup is fairly different than most as well as the front sway bar running through the K-frame. At the time I started this build, others wanted to see my Signet tubbed yet I wanted a road car setup to drive in all conditions, it all situations, cornering as well, today it is called pro touring.
As far as moving the springs inward, that's out of the question. Many years ago I had the parts as well as the opportunity to do so and after careful consideration I decided against it. You see, my fuel cell which extends below the trunk floor probably 10 inches in it's aluminum enclosure would not let the exhaust fit between the springs and the cell, if that was done. Going back in time isn't where I want to be. The things I see used today have been around since the time I built this 25+ years ago and at that time I had a pro street Monza running 9.80's.

The Signet needs wheels as I've said, as it's getting harder to find tires for 14" rims. The BFG's are horrifying for any kind of traction and no one else makes the size I need to run, so finding the correct wheel and tire size without moving this or that is becoming a quagmire for me.
I am very familiar with certain aspects in the automotive world and have had my fill of purists of any kind, persons who do everything according to others and not themselves as if their imagination does not count or they have no imagination and this peeves me as much as censorship, religion and politics which to me are all the same. If I was 10 years younger, I would have had a 370 pound hi tech engine and a six speed manual trans like my 90 Chevy pick up has which only took a month to build but doing this to my Signet takes a million dollars for whatever reason and believe me, it's bogus.
This is why my Signet still has 14 inch rims and an outdated LA engine and an outdated 727 trans and an outdated 8.75 rear..

I dislike purists more than anyone can imagine
Joeymadden
Post Number: 8

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 3:56 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I should write a book " How to make friends on a Mopar site "
64ragtop
Post Number: 457

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 6:41 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Got it, Joey! When can I get your book??

I moved the springs on the AZDart (not suitable for viewing just yet) in 3/4" with offset hangers and front brackets for just a "scoch" more clearence. That lets me run 15 X 7.5" Torque Thrusts. Have you looked at the Tire Rack website? I just searched for 14" tires" and refined the search to see "Tires". Got 224 hits, lots of brands, widths and profiles. I've never bought from them, but their site is interesting.

Purists bug me too, but it's their car - their money - and their choices. I like drivers, they can have their trailer queens.

For my cars, I prefer the "almost stock" look with updated functional stuff. Your big fuel cell, pushbutton controls to your right, and those BIG tailpipes fit that idea IMHO.

Anyway, good luck on your searches...

BC
65valiant
Post Number: 187

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:21 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
[quote] I should write a book " How to make friends on a Mopar site "[/quote]

Probably should be " How NOT to make friends on a Mopar site ""

I'm not sure this is the correct forum for you.

"Purist", in my opinion, means "doing it the way the factory did", not overdoing it,not necessarily trailer queen. Drivers can still qualify as "purist cars".

So, if you say your LA engine is outdated, and your 727 is outdated, and your 8.75 is outdated, why do you still have an outdated Valiant body? Why not put the "millions of dollars" into something more current, with better suspension , engine, trans and all?

...and maybe curb the "tude a bit...people here are just trying to answer your questions, and you're sh*tting all over them.

Just my opinion....
Darwin/BC/Canada

'65 Cdn Valiant Custom 100 'vert
Slant 6 /factory A833....SOLD!

'67 Dart GT 'vert
273/904

Check 'em out...
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e285/65val/

Joeymadden
Post Number: 9

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 11:55 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Some people see only what they want and not necessarily what is written and I say, to each their own. My idea of a purist is different than yours but hey, to each their own. I also thanked you for the link you inserted on your reply even though I've read it before and like you, I am also a registered member of FABO and have learned from that site their version of a purist..

I've shown you my Signet, explained what was it that I needed, explained how this car was built, what I have done to it and just about everything associated with it as food for thought as well as asking my question.
Whether or not my attitude matches yours isn't a big issue for me as it may be to you and although I consider my engine, trans and rear to be outdated, I certainly believe the early A body to be the most beautiful mid sized car ever made and I have kept mine all these years because I love it.
As far my remark in regards to the outdated engine, trans and rear, I have been through all the small blocks including the original 273, a roller cam 318 w/dual quads, 2 - 340's and this 360 and although this car has run good throughout the years, I find that power and mileage can go together with the correct combination, which I don't have at the moment, although I do have the knowledge for that.

BTW, I never tiptoed through anything in my life, so if my perseverance offends you and my explanations are not to your liking, than my apologies wouldn't mean diddly, wouldn't ya think?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: