TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

HELP! newbie with a 65 barracuda proj...

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » HELP! newbie with a 65 barracuda project car users admin

Mcp1552
Post Number: 1
Monday, June 10, 2013 - 7:58 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
hello all - I'm a newbie to the sight. my first car was a 64 cuda 3 in the column V8. now 30 years later, i've found a 65 cuda automatic - spent a year looking for a 3 in the column.....a buddy of mine and i are going to start the restoration and i have NO IDEA where to start....any suggestions would be most appreciated
Mojack
Post Number: 326

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 8:07 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Post up some pics so we can see how to help you spend lots of your money!
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 187

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 8:36 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It would help to know what shape it is in right now. But I would start with all the safety item, brakes, front suspension, then electrical & mechanical things i.e. tune-up,oil change, clean cooling system and so on. Hope this helps and good luck.

Welcome to the group you will find all the answers to your questions here from friendly experienced folks.

Good Luck. George
64ragtop
Post Number: 443

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 9:11 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome to the site! Like George said, SAFETY first! If it will roll, be sure you can stop it. A flat level concrete work space is best by far. Wheel chocks are good if the workspace is not level.
A good thorough cleaning will help you find problem areas (careful with high pressure sprays, though!) Those are the basics. Post pictures and suggestions will follow.

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Steves65
Post Number: 79

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 5:28 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome...I can tell you from first hand experience. There are a lot of great knowledgeable people here!
Mcp1552
Post Number: 2
Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 1:53 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
here's a couple of pics...
I need a backup light cover...suggestions?
can the bumper be reworked, left back is slightly bent - thining
I'm going to get it rechromed, need the two air vent covers and just a little bit of window molding on the inside

Mojack
Post Number: 327

Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 6:01 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It looks like a good car to build on. Like the others said, safety first. Just start chipping away at the small stuff. That's a cool finned valve cover and you have both headlight rings! I think I might have a cracked, but whole reverse lens you can have for the postage.
Mcp1552
Post Number: 3
Monday, June 17, 2013 - 5:43 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
cool Mojack! thank you!!!! I've been looking and haven't found one - just now getting into how and where to look for parts. a friend and i are going to pull the motor and transmission - while it's out, we are going to referb the breaks......just tell me how to get you the postage
Mojack
Post Number: 328

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 4:02 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Let me dig around for it and make sure itís all good. Now that I think about it the postage will be pocket change, no worries. Emailed you.

So the engine needs a rebuild? Are you going to hot rod it a little?
Mcp1552
Post Number: 6
Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 8:26 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I've posted the following on another part of the site but wanted to see what you guys suggestion on the following:

first the parts - want/need:
jack assembly
fuel tank
knob that goes on the leaver that move the seat back and forth
sun visors (or suggestions on getting the recovered)
headliner - any help appreciated
fresh air doors (both driver and passenger)

ok - now the questions:

the molding around the back window, over the top of both windows all the way thru to the windshield - both sides
any recommendations on the fresh box - can i replace just the doors or do i need to find the full units
the driver door mirror swivels but isn't sturdy - can it be reworked or do i just need to find another?
the chrome is flaking off the back strip between the trunk and the back glass - how does it come off and can it be rechromed?
the trunk has some rust damage and i'd like to replace it....can this be bought as a unit or do I need to have it rebuilt?
the strip around the back glass...it's doesn't 'look' the best, can this be bought new and replaced?

any help to find or suggestions greatly appreciated...thanks all!
Mcp1552
Post Number: 7
Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 9:02 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
here's some more pics

Fstfish66
Post Number: 621

Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 8:26 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
i replied to one of your other posting about the window locking strip, and what to do about the rear window chrome trim,,,i also have seat adjuster knobs if your still in need, e mail me if u are, good luck fstfish66@aol.com
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: