TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

'Bout darn time to work on the ragtop...

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » 'Bout darn time to work on the ragtop again.... users admin

64ragtop
Post Number: 297

Monday, December 13, 2010 - 5:29 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi, folks! I've been away, and only lurking for a while. Meanwhile, my '64ragtop has mostly been sitting in the driveway awaiting more attention (read MONEY). The next thing I want to tackle is the convertible top hydraulics. One guy I spoke to said I should replace both the rams and the pump because if one ram stuck it could trash the top framework. Anyhow, I'd deeply appreciate any advice on convertible top parts vendors. I can handle the parts replacement, just need the best deal on the hydraulic pieces.

Now lesee if I can remember how to attach a pic!

The '64ragtop - April 2010

I'm thinking she's lookin' pretty good with the American TorqueThrust wheels and Clif's stainless nuts (and that's as far as I'll take THAT thought!)

ATB

BC
Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly quite well!
Donc1965
Post Number: 451

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 4:04 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Very nice!

Don
1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
Jameybro
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 27

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 4:12 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Really sweet Dart!

Jamey
Jamey
1965 Barracuda Formula S
2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummins
Charger1969
Post Number: 139

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:15 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
look's great!!!!!!!!
Fstfish66
Post Number: 439

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 5:47 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
sweeeet
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
64fysh
Post Number: 19

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:01 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
What is the bolt pattern for the wheels on your dart? I really like those wheels, but I can only find them in 5 x 4.5 or 5 x 4.75, my dad says that i have 5x4. Just curious :-) thanks.
64 Barracuda. Best first car ever!
64ragtop
Post Number: 308

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 7:39 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
They are indeed the so-called "large" bolt pattern, 5x4.5. The American Racing "Torque Thrust" wheels have always been the hot rod wheels to me.

Have you tried going direct to American Racing? I looked briefly at their website: http://www.americanracing.com/index.asp

but they list the sizes in metric measurements.

If I were "blessed" with 5x4" pattern wheels, I'd try a phone call to American in Rancho Dominguez, CA. or email 'em at: info@americanracing.com

Meanwhile, here's a little "eye candy" for Christmas
Torque Thrust

ATB BC
Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly quite well!
Fstfish66
Post Number: 449

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 8:43 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
those wheels are not going to be available in a 4 inch pattern,,they are not true to the orignal torgue thrust and im pretty sure the orignals were never offered in 4 inch, the closest you will get is a cragar,,last i heard cragar made a batch of 4 inch bolt patten wheels,,
i cant rememebe
r the name of the broker/company that has access to them,,but they are the sister company to coker tire,, not much offered in the after market in a 4 inch pattern even back in the day and even less now,,,

your only choice would be wheel adapters and not a good idea in my book,,,or switch the car over to 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern,,and theres tons of choices,,
2008 chrysler pacifica
64fysh
Post Number: 20

Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:04 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Cool, thanks guys for the help. I like the cragars too, and i know where i can get them so thats cool. I was just wondering because americans were my #1 choice, but cragars are #2 so it works :-)
Jameybro
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 30

Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 2:04 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey Kayla, I don't know if you've tried Summit Racing for the Cragars. I got mine (also 4" bolt pattern) from them. They charged a flat rate of under $20 for shipping and I got them within 3 days. All in all, they were the best price and really helpful. If you click on my profile pic, you'll see how even a 14" rim looks pretty decent. Good luck with your fish. It's looking great!
Jamey
1965 Barracuda Formula S
2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummins
64ragtop
Post Number: 309

Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 7:28 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I just found reference and a picture of the Cragars on another site http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=107032&page=3 and thought of your problem. The Cragars are my #2 choice as well. Glad you have the solution (almost) in hand!

P.S. Don, you're right, I think they are actually "Torque Thrust II" wheels. They were as close to the originals as I could find, looking at pictures & Summit had 'em in 14 & 15" diameters, and that clinched the deal.

ATB BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Krazymofugger
Post Number: 51

Friday, December 24, 2010 - 7:06 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Here is another option for wheels that I bought on Ebay a month ago.They are 15x6 small bolt pattern.I liked them because they arn't common but available new and wern't that expensive.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 450

Friday, December 24, 2010 - 11:43 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
those wheels on the wagon are hoopsters.. they are new but have a vintage look,and look good on all types of cars,, i didnt know they were available in 4 inch ?? or did you switch the wagon over to 4 1/2 inch??

64 rag, i see tons of that model torgue thrust,most people think its a exact copy of the orignal,because they see so many of them,,,they still look great ,but i perfer the straighter spoke,,,back in the 60s and 70s there were several companines making that style rim,.,all slight varaitions of the same spoke,, some all aluminum,,some aluminum and steel inner,some more rounded spoke,, some pointy spoke,, ive been trying to find a set of the pointy that i can have widened ,but they are hard to come by,,,

as soon as i put some cash together im having a set made from team 3 wheels,,they ,make any size,any back space with the straight spoke,,and a little rounded in the front not pointy,,but much closer to the orignal,, 1200 buck for a pair of rear rims,,15x15 trying to get back to a vintage rim on a fat tire car is almost impossible,,,i really wanted a radir rim,,
2008 chrysler pacifica
Krazymofugger
Post Number: 52

Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 3:13 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
They are the small bolt pattern (4 inch)wheels but I converted the front to the kelsey hayes disc brakes.
64ragtop
Post Number: 311

Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 9:56 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
And they do look nice, mofu, pretty "classic" looking.

Fish, what a search you must have made to get that info! I'll be looking forward to seeing the team 3 wheels. of course, 15"x15" weren't gonna come cheap anyhow....

I guess I'm guilty of mis-remembering what the original TorqueThrust wheels really looked like. But I'll settle for these for the time being.

With the info you've compiled, fish, can ya tell us what happened to the original design? I would guess it was a copyright issue.

Oh, p.s. I got the hydraulic parts for the ragtop from Convertible Service in Ca. It'll take me a little while to get the parts installed and the system working, but the pieces are on hand.

ATB BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Fstfish66
Post Number: 452

Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 11:57 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
sorry i dont know what happened to the orignal design,,the owner of team 3 was telling me he tried to help american racing out,,they had an orignal type spoke back in the day also,,,but im only guessing they wanted a new twist on an old wheel ??? from a distance you cant tell any way,,
2008 chrysler pacifica
Terryr
Post Number: 121

Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 10:07 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
we are stuck,,, its either convert to 4.5 or change your thinking,,,i got 15" rims off wheel vintiques for not alot of money ,and in england the 15s look kool
Fstfish66
Post Number: 453

Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 10:43 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
why would 15s not look kool??
2008 chrysler pacifica
64fysh
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 21

Monday, December 27, 2010 - 3:00 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Sweet, thanks Jamey. I did check out summit and their prices are pretty good. I think once I have the money saved up I'll get the Cragars from there :-)
Hell_fish
Post Number: 158

Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 7:51 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Looking good Bob

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: