TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

New guy w/ original 1966 273 4-spd

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » New guy w/ original 1966 273 4-spd users admin

Nuke_em
Post Number: 1
Monday, August 16, 2010 - 7:41 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi, I am Gary Herren. A little about me....been a Mopar man my whole life, got it from my old man.
My first car was a 74 Charger. Anyway, also had a 68 Charger RT 383/4 spd and lots of the lil turbo Chargers and Daytona's. I still own a 87 Shelby that I bought new, well hopped up with Forward Motion parts. I did 21 years in the Air Force, all working on the big nuclear missiles(Minuteman 2, 3, and Peacekeepers) and now do special testing on them as a General Dynamics engineer.
That is where I get my " Nuke Em" board name, (Laughing Out Loud).

I have been married to my high school girl friend for...20 something years(since 88). I have 3 kids and the oldest has been in the Air Force for over a year now. Glad to be here and hope I can contribute to the board!

My neighbor is moving and needed it gone but couldn't take it with him. $1200 for a running 1966 Barracuda, factory AC, 273 2bbl, 4-speed car sounded cheap enough to me. It has not been plated since 1999 so it needs gone through. He is the original owner of the car since late 65. Car is very clean except bondo in lower rear quarters.
Bad news is that the back window is shattered so I started hunting for that. My father inlaw found 6 64-66 barracudas in a junk yard that have good back glass...$75 a back glass seems cheap enough for me too.

I will get some good pics up soon...
65valiant
Post Number: 155

Monday, August 16, 2010 - 7:49 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome aboard. Some great people on this list. If you're not aware,there's also the sister list to this one...EVBC...Early Valiant and Barracuda Club www.earlycuda.org and FABO...For A Bodies Only... www.forabodiesonly.com May find more help and parts there.

Not trying to chase you away from here ,though.
Darwin/BC/Canada

'65 Cdn Valiant Custom 100 'vert
Slant 6 /factory A833....SOLD!

'67 Dart GT 'vert
273/904

Check 'em out...
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e285/65val/

Charger1969
Post Number: 121

Monday, August 16, 2010 - 11:48 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Yes welcome. we are here to help and all have valuable info from all involved. good price for the window, take it. jeff
Mojack
Post Number: 205

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 3:56 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome! Look's like you got a nice Barracuda in that deal. That's a good price on the back glass. They are pretty common, but it's the shipping that makes it hard to deal with them, so local is good.

....and thanks for your and your son's service to the country!
Daprez
Post Number: 125

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 4:28 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome to the Club! You got that car for a steal. If there is anything we can help you with just ask.
1966 Barracuda, 318 TQ 4bbl, 904 AT, 7 1/4 rear, 4 Piston Kelsey/Hays Disc Brakes, 10 Rear Drum, MoPar Electronic Ignition.
Nuke_em
Post Number: 2
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 7:31 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks everyone! I didnt get a chance to post some interior pics yet...hopefully tomorrow.They are on my work computer.
Nuke_em
Post Number: 3
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 11:12 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   

Nuke_em
Post Number: 4
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 11:18 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
few more...

Mojack
Post Number: 206

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 5:54 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
AC and a 4 speed....COOL!
Nuke_em
Post Number: 5
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 6:09 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I really am going to enjoy this car. I took it around my neighborhood (out in the Wyoming countryside) and ran into my first major problem. The tranny doesn't like to downshift into 1st or 2nd until you are going really really slow. When I turned into my driveway it is stuck in first gear! Engine on or off, clutch in or out, it will not release 1st. I do not think its linkage but sure hope so,lol. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance, Gary
Fstfish66
Post Number: 425

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 8:13 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
nice find, that shifter is made by or was made by the company inland they had terrible problems with wear,,you may be able to find who ever is rebuilding them,,,they were only used in mopars in 1966 and 67,then mopar went back to using hurst shifters,,
there is some one rebuilding them,but not sure who,lots of 66/67 chargers used them,,maybe on a B body site some one can help you
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Mojack
Post Number: 207

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 8:23 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I would bet on the shifter or the linkage also.
Charger1969
Post Number: 122

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:36 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
ouch, needs lower quarters. good luck. jeff
Nuke_em
Post Number: 6
Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 5:50 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks again for the info! I am off Fri-Tuesday so i will have a chance to dig into it and I will let you know what I found.

Ya Jeff, rears are pretty ugly. I will find some sheetmetal patches(hopefully) or make some to weld in.

I also am considering installing a blower that I had for a project. It is for a SB mopar and will not work for the BB stroker engine. My main hesitation is that this car is so original and hate to ruin that. I would probably have to replace the whole drive train to survive. What do you guys think?
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 138

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 6:47 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Nuke, Nice find going to make you a nice ride. You might consider going to a hurst shifter, There pretty bullet proof. Unless you want it original. I had thought about a blower on my 64 fish but didn't want to go with the expense of stiffing up the sub-frame plus at my age I figure I can get all I need out of a stock 340 or 360. But it all boils down to what you want it is your car so do to it and drive it like you want. Good luck with fixing the shifting problem I'm like the rest betting on the linkage as it was not uncommon back in the day for guys with the 66 & 67 Mopars to have this happen. Good luck and enjoy her. barracudabad64
Nuke_em
Post Number: 7
Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 8:32 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I will look around on ebay for the Hurst shifters...any special part # or style?

I am not going to make a drag car out of her, I just enjoy cruising around...and turning a few heads also makes me smile! I have never had a blower on anything before and know it can get expensive in a hurry. I am not sure what the exact compression is on a 66 273... probably 8.5 or so and sure the pistons are not forged. I can slip a long duration cam in and underdrive it keeping the boost low and hopefully allow the motor to survive a while. Still just thinking out loud, lol. I have so many things to do and so little time.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 427

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 9:15 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
thats a V 6.71 blower by dyers and wil work on up to a 426 C.I motor, finding a used intake for a small block will be near impossible,but easy to make a old school dyers type intake,

looks like u need lower patch panels and wheel well trim,both available at laysons, the wheel well trim is a one year only part,so if you order from laysons ask if they are READY TO SHIP they are not always in stock,and very hard to find used in decent shape.
im gioing to try to post you a pic of my 66 with a blower so u can see what it looks like
2008 chrysler pacifica
Nuke_em
Post Number: 8
Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 10:37 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I seen in your "rides" under the posts you had one. I was hoping you could help me out with some info. I talked to the older fellow at Dyers and he told me I would not be happy with that 6V71 on the big block, too low of flow without overdriving it then the heat would cancel most of the gains. The blower system came with a dual plane intake that I am supposed to have machined and tabs welded on to mate up with the blower. Guess I can start a fresh thread for this stuff, I am new to this kind of info so any help is greatly appreciated.

I am working on a Charger project already and have several mopar parts catalogs, just have not had the time to research anything yet. I just wanted to find a good forum website to talk to people with questions...think I found a great one!!!
THANKS!
Fstfish66
Post Number: 428

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:28 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
ok i keep posting and it deletes for some reason,,,,if u have a bigger motor then 426 u will need a 8.71 blower,,,the older guy u talked to was probably gary dyer,he is the guy that invented the street blower movement,,,that v 671 may have less volume then a standard 6.71,,,u say uhave a blower intake?? if u need i have pics of my intake,to see how to adapt a blower plate to fit,,,if ur 273 isa factory hipo, 4bbl motor the compression is 10 or 10.5 way to much
2008 chrysler pacifica
Fstfish66
Post Number: 429

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:34 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
going to try posting a pic again66
2008 chrysler pacifica
Fstfish66
Post Number: 430

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:37 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
my intake pics are t obig to post on this site ide gladly e mail them to you let me know fstfish66@aol.com
2008 chrysler pacifica
Nuke_em
Post Number: 9
Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 7:27 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I found this on Evil-bay....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-1965-1966-MOPAR-FACTORY-HURST-4-SP-SHIFTER-BASE-65-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ170388723737QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Fstfish66
Post Number: 431

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 10:53 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
the early hurst shifters had smaller holes in the arms, where the linkage attaches,,i dont know when they went to the larger holes,and im not sure if the later linkage will fit the smaler holes,, the later shifters had larger holes in the arms for changeable bushings.

call brewers and see if they have complete shifter and linkage,,last i knew hurst was not producing new A body linkage,,

there is a guy calls him self long shifters located in central PA,, ive seen his shifters,,but never have investageed him,,he has shifters and A body linkage,,if u find him in a
search let me know,,
2008 chrysler pacifica
Charger1969
Post Number: 123

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:06 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
nuke, check laysons for partial repair panels. if your interested in selling the blower setup let me know. always wanted a blower for the 340 cuda. instead of 500 horses, maybe get 750?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: