TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Ooh Barracuda - My 66

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » Ooh Barracuda - My 66 users admin

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 20, 2009Charrlie_s20 4-20-09  5:18 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Diablo
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 22

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 7:12 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
It would be great to get together with some fellow early A-body owners, especially since I haven't seen any other one but mine and a valiant that was passing through town.

Unfortunately for now I can only afford to get to school and back, but once I'm able to find a job I'll let you know and we could get together.
Diablo
Advanced Member
Post Number: 31

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 12:19 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
With help from this site I've already found that my VIN and fender tag both completely match my car perfectly, but looking at my build sheet I'm a bit worried.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8683/mycuda104.jpg
Here is my build sheet (I added contrast to help see the numbers better)

Other than the stuff I already know it's really just a jumble of numbers. I would really like to find out what each of the numbers mean, but that is not what I'm worried about. What I am worried about is the fact that there is no number on there for the fender top indicators or my side mirror. With the condition of the build sheet there is a possibility that the numbers faded off, but I can't be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eventually I'll try to get a copy of my build sheet from Chrysler historical, but $45 is pretty steep for something I don't need right now.
Diablo
Post Number: 53

Monday, October 19, 2009 - 4:06 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
My cuda hasn't been feeling too well lately, and her 10-15mpg is costing too much to get college, so I decided it would be fair to her and my parents to get another vehicle.

I weighed the pros and cons and finally settled on a Volvo as the best buy, and I ended up with a 1987 Volvo 740 with a turbo four cylinder for $1,000. I'm really going to miss driving the cuda, along with all the looks and comments I get, but the Volvo is going to be very nice for daily driving. I have to sit for 1-2 hours between classes so the reclining seats and tint will make a world of a difference in comfort, I could actually take a nap if I wanted. I feel bad saying that I can't wait to switch over, but at the same time I don't feel it's fair to the cuda to be driving her back and forth to school with all the issues she has.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6671/volvo002.jpg

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9236/volvo006.jpg
Hell_fish
Post Number: 141

Monday, October 19, 2009 - 5:32 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
17 city 20 highway isn't that big a leap. I would guess $1k into the cuda could make it more streetable and you could add better seats and tint. Now, keeping miles off your cuda may be a good option.
Diablo
Post Number: 54

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 8:55 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I got another car mostly for reliability. I mean I love my cuda to death but shes got so many old parts just waiting to fail that I can't afford to just fix on the spot. She already has a really bad lifter tick, all the boots in the front end are broken, my leafs are going, I need my driveshaft balanced, I need my tires balanced, I need a new master cylinder, my front brakes are acting up, and my rear brakes don't work.

Basically even if I did put the 1k into her there would still be things that I need to fix. Plus my parents pay for my gas (I wish I could, but I can't find a job) and they can barely afford to give me the $20 a week or more that it takes to get to school and back. And to clarify I bought the Volvo with some of the money I got from a pell grant for living expenses from school.

By no means is the cuda just going to sit and rot though. If by some miracle my dad can get a better job my family would be able to afford a house with a garage and her restoration will begin. For now shes going to be sitting in my apartment complex, but I'll make sure to start her up every week and keep her running fine. I have a job interview for a seasonal job at sears in December so if I can get that, or find another job sooner, I'll be able to start saving up to finally get the bad cancer fixed.
Krazymofugger
Post Number: 1
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 3:59 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey matt I finally joined the club.I hope I will be going to the antique show again so we can meet.I think they do it again in january and maybe I will be driving the wagon.
Diablo
Post Number: 55

Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 1:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Awesome, glad you joined. I should be going down to the Don Garlits Mopar show this saturday. I wasn't going to but a friend of mine at the local car show said it's something that I just couldn't pass up. Hopefully next year I'll be able to go there with some money for parts.

If I remember to bring my camera, and it isn't too too crowded, I'll take some pictures of all the early A bodies I see and I'll make a thread.
Krazymofugger
Post Number: 3

Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 6:02 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well if everything goes my way I should be at don garlits on Saturday also.I will email you tomorrow and let you know for sure.
Diablo
Post Number: 56

Friday, July 02, 2010 - 1:37 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Finally back to my cuda after all these long months without driving her. Unfortunately having no place to put her she's been sitting in the parking lot constantly getting wet from the sprinklers and rain and being covered with kicked up grass and dirt from the mowers (You should have seen how grey the soap was when I finally got to give her a wash). This hasn't done well for the rust issue, my bad quarter looks like hell and my trunk lid has gotten a lot worse, but I'm still just happy to be back driving her.

Now that I've got her back, and have a job now, I have a few questions about what I should do. To start off the body is getting bad and I really should be saving up to do something about it. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement rear quarter for the passenger's side? And if so how much would it cost me?

While the body needs work the teenager in me is still looking to do a bit of upgrading. Right now it's just a stock 2 barrel 273, but I want to get it up to commando specs. Would it be more worthwhile to upgrade my engine, or just buy a commando 273? I'm debating because my 273 needs a good bit of work done to it. The only issue is the lifter tick but from what I'm hearing I might as well just rebuild the engine since it could be anything down to the cam, and if I'm doing that I might as well just replace practically everything having to do with the valve operation. I've already tried adjusting it but I'm still getting a bad tick from the first cylinder so something is worn. I'm figuring if I have to do all that, and worry about it screwing up if I put a four barrel on it from what I've heard, it would be more cost and time effective to just buy a commando and work on that. Another issue I'm running into would be what to do with my original engine since it's the original block and I don't want to get rid of it. How do you keep an engine stored decently well for a really long time, I've heard of filling the entire thing with oil, but other than that I have no clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, very glad to be back.
Terryr
Post Number: 97

Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 7:07 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
are you adjusting your rockers correctly and in the right sequence ,maybe you have lost a lobe on your cam,and if you have i would be tempted to put a 318 in rather than try to locate rebuild parts for a 273 (pistons are very rare)the later engines give you a wealth of options to play with,i wanted to go with the upgrades on my valiant ,but being a 64 i was up against it straight off with the small port heads, the 4 barrel manifolds are harder to find than king tuts pecker ,i used a 2 barrell holley with an adaptor off e bay ,and she flys ,alot of people have the misconception that every v8 needs a 4 barrell ,not true ,and if you do go that route i would only use a 390 holley on a mild build 273 ,,just my opinion ,,and good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: