TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

New Floor Pans

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » New Floor Pans users admin

Valiantmike
Post Number: 9
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 4:09 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Here's a pic of my new front floor pans and my car leveled up on jackstands getting ready for frame connector fabrication. Mike
front pans
leveled up on jackstands
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 585

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:26 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Nice looking job man!
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://cuda.enbcom.com
Jonah_hex
Post Number: 2
Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:16 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The passenger side floor pan looks like it runs all the way up to the seam between the floor and the firewall. What kind of shape is your seam in? Mine is rusting and starting to fall apart in that area. Any ideas on repairing it? Bar stock maybe?

Jonah
64valiant
Post Number: 195

Monday, July 30, 2007 - 6:13 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Killer. I wish I had a nice floor board in my car.

Lee
340, aluminum E-brock heads ported by
Ryan J @ (Shady Dell Speed shop),
six pack induction
four speed built by Passon with 2.66 first gear
8 3/4 with back brace, 4:10 gears,
spool and after market axles
mini tubed
Valiantmike
Post Number: 62
Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:29 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
For the most part, that seam was solid. There was an area that was rusted about 3 or 4 inches on passenger side, but the new pan was about an inch longer than that seam, so I left it long and welded it up higher. You can see the step up in the pics. Mike
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 799

Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:09 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
What we did on my buddies Valiant was cut away rotted metal at the seam and fabricated some metal to replicate the seam and its lip. Those pieces were welded to the firewall section so the seam lip was restored. The new floor pan also has a lip which you butt to the firewall lip. We drilled out holes and welded them up, simulating factory spot welds.

It seems to me this is the common and correct way to remove and replace body panels, drilling out the factory spot welds. If you're removing a panel from a donor car, the panel will be filled with holes like shotgun holes, and you just weld inside them to the other metal. If you're putting in a new panel, you drill holes in it as if you drilled it out from another car, and then weld inside them in the same fashion.

Welding all along the seam is another option I guess.

Here's a photo of the frame we replaced in the Valiant. The white inner fender was original, the blue frame rail was from the donor car. If you look you'll notice the drilled out holes in the fender which have now been welded to the frame.

new frame

new frame2
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 801

Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:14 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
rusty floor
new frame
finished floor
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Valiantmike
Post Number: 65
Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:29 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
That looks good Neil. I cut mine only up to where floor was solid. Thats why I seam welded. I'm not really that good of a welder. Given the choice again I would probably do it like you did. Looks clean. Mike
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 803

Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:42 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'm not really a good welder either, it was Tom that did most of the work. Some places are better than others, photos don't show the true story!

I've learned that there's nothing like factory sheetmetal, but I've also learned there's nothing wrong with sheetmetal that's been welded and replaced either, it's just different than the factory job.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
64valiant
Post Number: 197

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 5:00 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Awesome work.

Lee
340, aluminum E-brock heads ported by
Ryan J @ (Shady Dell Speed shop),
six pack induction
four speed built by Passon with 2.66 first gear
8 3/4 with back brace, 4:10 gears,
spool and after market axles
mini tubed
Jonah_hex
Post Number: 3
Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:56 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Wow, that is one heck of an improvement!! Now, if I could find someone that repops the entire floor pan from front to rear I will be in business. The raised section in the center (where the seats mount) has got areas of rot also. It`s hard to find floor pans for a `64 Valiant convertible.
I`ll probably wind up trying to find a donor car somewhere. Anyone know if the pans are the same in a 2 or 4 door as they are in a convertible?
65valiant
Post Number: 60

Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:39 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
""Anyone know if the pans are the same in a 2 or 4 door as they are in a convertible? ""

Yes, they are the same. I have installed the complete front floor pan (firewall to under rear seat) from a '65 4dr Valiant into my '65 convertible,and it its identical to the orig. AFAIK, '63 to '66 short wheelbase floor pans are all the same. My '65 parts manual even says they are the same part number.
Darwin/Victoria BC/Canada

'65 Cdn Valiant Custom 100 'vert
170/factory A833...eternal project

'67 Dart GT 'vert
273/904...now with "Collector" status

Elephant
Post Number: 2

Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:23 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Glad see more of the Valiants brought back! Mabe we will out number the barracuda's!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: