TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Big Block '64 Barracuda build

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » Big Block '64 Barracuda build users admin

413cuda
Post Number: 1
Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 8:32 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hey guys/gals

I am getting ready to start building a Big Block '64 Barracuda for my wife. Her father had a car similar and I am wanting to give her something to remember him by.

I will be on a $3,500-5,000/ year budget and have most of the build planned out as far as what to work on first, body work, drivetrain etc. I have purchased a one owner running push button slant 6 car that is complete ($1,600) but needs body work which I will do. I have just purchased a 413 and HD 727 which will go in the car. I picked the 413 just because it is different and not seen as much. I'm putting 440 heads on her and a six barrel setup. The Torqueflight for her ease of drivability. The engine and trans have already been rebuilt. I picked them up for $850 together. I was wanting to show what can be done on a reasonable budget and with a bit of know how. I could lay it all out for you but I will be building as I go. (Things inevitably change!) I could write weekly or monthly updates with pictures and future plans. I do plan on this taking about 2-3 years. Hopefully not! Pictures will be coming soon.

I am really interested in your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. Please comment!
Thanks,
Derrick
Fstfish66
Post Number: 690

Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 11:14 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
nice year car to build 64 push button my favorite,,,any chance the auto u picked is it a cable shifted trans ?? so u dont have to delete the push buttons ??? im sure u know 413 looks just like a 440,,before u throw a pair of 440 heads on it do ur home work,,check the valve size on the 413 heads,,and research the part numbers,,u may have a pair of max wedge heads,, if u go to 440 heads make sure there 906 they are common and flow great the later 452 have hardened seats and flow ok pic of car and good luck
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
413cuda
Post Number: 2
Friday, September 25, 2015 - 4:53 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The 727 is a cable shifted trans. I'm still weighing the option to convert it to floor shift and install a shift delete panel in the dash. I already checked the casting #s on the heads. No dice on them being max wedge. They were truck small port closed chamber heads. They have a casting # of 289943. They are ready to go and are for sale if someone is interested! I am looking at some 906's now. Pictures to come this weekend.
413cuda
Post Number: 3
Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 8:08 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Finally got the Barracuda here yesterday. Apparently my pictures are too large to post on here. I'm still working on that. Wish me luck as I start to dismantle her this weekend!
Mojack
Post Number: 399

Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 7:13 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'll be interested to see your progress!
413cuda
Post Number: 4
Friday, October 02, 2015 - 1:02 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/pidisgthuff/library/1964%20Barracuda%20Pictures

If these don't work let me know, but you should be able to see the car how it looked when it showed up on Wednesday. Tear down starts this weekend!
413cuda
Post Number: 5
Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 9:36 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
So I added just a couple pictures to the link above. This weekend I removed the hood, truck lid, seats, front carpet, grill, headlights, hubcaps, and some of the trim. This weekend I will finish the carpet and seatbelts, trim and start on the motor and tranny.
413cuda
Post Number: 6
Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 2:31 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Today, I removed both fenders, front bumper, lower front valance, rear view mirror, visors, exhaust, gas tank and some more trim! Once I remove the engine, tranny and glass it will be just a rolling chassis ready for body work. I'll be doing body work all winter in preparation for paint spring or summer 2016.
413cuda
Post Number: 8
Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 5:29 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I was able to start work on disassembly again yesterday. I removed the front windshield, steering column, dash and some of the heater components.
413cuda
Post Number: 10
Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 1:55 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I got the slant 6 and trans out and sold. Thanks. Anyone have a good source for glass fenders and hood.
Daprez
Post Number: 312

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 5:11 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Glad to see things are coming along, Looking forward to the Shoe Horn assist for the big block.

Check http://www.usbody.com/ for the fiberglass parts.
1966 Barracuda, 318 V8, 904 AT, 7 1/4 rear, 4 Piston Kelsey/Hays Front Disc Brakes, 10" Rear Drum, Throttle Body Fuel Injection with Computer Controlled Ignition
413cuda
Post Number: 13
Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 5:07 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks, Daprez. I have turned to working on the 413 a bit while I wait for some rust repair panels to come in. I bought some 906 heads as a slight upgrade from the more sluggish heads that were on there. Body work will be in full swing these next couple months. I will post some pictures of the progress later this week.
Mrhotrod
Post Number: 18
Friday, April 08, 2016 - 9:18 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
You can get the fiberglass parts you need here all fresh molds made parts fit great

http://glasstek.com/results.php?year=1964&make=20&model=nothing

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: