TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

1965 Barracuda upgrade

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » 1965 Barracuda upgrade users admin

Pnj2060
Post Number: 1
Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 4:43 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
New to the forum. I have a 65 Barracuda bought new by my Uncle. Originally a slant 6 and converted to a Commando 273/904 by him in 1974. I'm looking to replace the 273 with a Magnum style engine. Stay pretty stock and have a daily driver. I've had the suds-up small blocks, big block cars even Hilborn injected small blocks. Now I want the sleeper. Is there any information on installing the FI and emission controls in the early cars. Any problems related to the swap would be good to know.
64ragtop
Post Number: 523

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 8:20 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome to our little corner of the web, Pnj, and pardon the familiarity. I know such swaps have been done and I'd like to do it to one of my early Darts, but I'm compiling info myself. I've always heard that with enough money ya can put anything into anything. That's not my situation, but I'm thinking there are fairly low buck ways to do that swap.

For openers, I don't think you need to worry much about emissions on a 49 year old car. Modifying the injection to work with little feedback could be tricky but I would bet someone has hacked it by now. Also, Edelbrock, F.A.S.T. and others have stand-alone injection systems.

I hope that's of some help, anyway...

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
64ragtop
Post Number: 524

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 9:15 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I ran across this right after my last post.

http://www.jegs.com/p/MSD-Ignition/MSD-Atomic-EFI/1718909/10002/-1

It seems kinda misleading, though, as there is more stuff to buy for an operating system than is shown at first.
I've seen that virtual "bait and switch" trick before and it always kinda ticks me off!

Nonetheless, it could be an option for folks who would just rather install their E.F.I. and go for a drive rather than re-inventing the wheel.
Not to mention that the commercial sellers generally provide tech support in case of unexpected difficulties.

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Pnj2060
Post Number: 2
Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 8:01 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks BC,
I'm just looking to have a cruiser with all the modern parts. I've had the car since 1975 and driven the 7 Western States in it. Always worked perfect for me. I guess it's time I give a little bit back.
The easy way would be to put a carb on the Magnum but I don't tend to do thing the easy way.
64ragtop
Post Number: 525

Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 5:45 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
My outlook on personal preferences is: "My money, MY car, MY CHOICES!!" That doesn't mean I expect anyone to agree with the choices I make, nor should anyone expect that I'll agree with all of theirs. I was a kid, hanging out on dragstrips in the mid to late 60's and still remember the "MOPAR whine" of the old gear reduction starters, followed by the explosion of the HEMI's open headers and locked on full ignition advance. I even liked the tricky throttle work to keep the motor running through the staging lane on the way to kick some Ford, Chevy, Pontiac or "not your father's Oldsmobile" butt.

That said, I don't want that kind of racket in my street cars! But I do still run the old style starters and really like the roar when the BIG Thermoquad secondaries kick in and suck the hood down
an inch or so!!

I'll be interested to see what changes you make to your Magnum to achieve your goal. If I disagree, I'll keep it to myself and maybe learn something.

Glad you're here!

BC
Jameybro
Post Number: 58

Monday, May 12, 2014 - 4:00 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome! I swapped a 2001 magnum 5.2 into my 65 a couple of years ago. Best thing I ever did and an easy swap. The only thing that I can think of is that the EFI, if your using the factory unit, won't fit under the hood and a scoop won't lend much of a sleeper look. I ended up putting in an air gap manifold/carb and I've got about 1/4" of clearance to spare between hood and air cleaner. All in all though, the engine is the best running of all of my classics and I'm glad I did it. This year, I plan on adding Vintage Air. Good luck!
Jamey
1965 Barracuda Formula S
2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummins
Pnj2060
Post Number: 3
Monday, May 12, 2014 - 3:16 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Jamey,
That is just a beautiful installation. If the installation reflects the car you're one lucky guy. Thanks for answering the hood question, I might have to look at other options. I don't plan on adding any kind of scoop. The Commando valve covers are a nice touch.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 667

Monday, May 12, 2014 - 10:22 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
nice swap,,,,just my 2 cents here,, since your in to the swaping thing,,save some bucks,,get a A/C syatem out of a dakota or ram,,,early 1990s to mid 90s,,a guy on Abodies did it to a 70ish dart,,under dash truck heater a/c box fit under the dart dash,,,all he had to do was shorten the steel lines from the condensor to the dryer,,you will have to get a V belt pully for the compressor,, or switch ur motor to a serpentine system
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Jameybro
Post Number: 59

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 8:19 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The coolest thing about the swap is that the magnum block is virtually identical to the old LA 273 block. I was able to bolt on the exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, valve covers, timing case, drive belts, etc. I dropped in my old distributor too. I needed a new oil pan and as mentioned, I added a new intake manifold and few other things. I'll be looking to see what you come up with for EFI.
Jamey
1965 Barracuda Formula S
Pnj2060
Post Number: 4
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 4:50 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I've got to get the engine and really think about the EFI.
Was there any issue with the transmission? I have a 904 and wasn't planning on changing it
Jameybro
Post Number: 60

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 3:45 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
No issue at all. Mine is a 4 speed, but I can't see why a 904 wouldn't bolt up.
To me, the biggest problem with the old car drive trains is the gearing. I'd love to have a 5 speed to get better 'cruise-ability' but the price is pretty steep. Same is true in my 72 truck. I'm ready to put in an overdrive tranny - then I think it becomes the driver that I want/need it to be.
Jamey
1965 Barracuda Formula S
Pnj2060
Post Number: 5
Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 5:24 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
After the engine swap the rearend will be the next step. Being a /6 car its got the small rearend.
With so much of CA being freeway I'll be putting in some tall gearing.
Cudachick
Post Number: 1
Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 3:19 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hello! I'm hayley, 21, cuda owner. I'm just curious, if front fenders and/or the grill off a 66 barracuda will fit on a 65 barracuda? Please email me if you have answers,as I'm not really sure how to use the forum.
Thanks!
Hayley
hayleywalton7@gmail.com
Jkirk
Post Number: 113

Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 9:12 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Pn

Some of us have gone with the gm TBI direction I'm running closed loop 91 GMC system on a 2barrel intake on a 1965 273
Daprez
Post Number: 293

Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 4:56 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
PNJ,
Check this thread for the Gm TBI install I went through last year. Its a cheaper way to go than ordering a kit, but its a lot more work if you are up to it.

http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/2/9253.html?1375281012
1966 Barracuda, 318 V8, 904 AT, 7 1/4 rear, 4 Piston Kelsey/Hays Front Disc Brakes, 10" Rear Drum, Throttle Body Fuel Injection with Computer Controlled Ignition
Pnj2060
Post Number: 6
Friday, June 13, 2014 - 7:15 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Quite an impressive installation. While I don't consider myself to be a dork, it might be a little too much electrical modification and programming for me. I'm going to keep looking around and see the options available. Great thread on the GM installation. Thank you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: