TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

An Old Early Valiant

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » An Old Early Valiant users admin

Zephyr9900
Post Number: 3

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 2:16 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
New to the site but it seems most have newer Valiant's than my 61 V200 Suburban. Guess I will just sit back and observe for a while!
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Mojack
Post Number: 346

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 5:31 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Oh, now wait a minute, have we seen some pics of your Suburban? We like pics, lots of pics and a run down of what you've done to it!
Zephyr9900
Post Number: 7

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 10:00 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Not done much yet just got it. I have done a complete tune-up including a Pertronix ignition & coil and adjusted kick-down linkage. Changed fluids, filters and while I was in the tranny adjusted bands & clutches and repaired leaks.
My next project is converting to front disc & maybe 4 1/2 bolt pattern all around. It needs some body work in the dog leg areas and the front fenders and re-chrome the bumpers. Are they ever done?

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
Donc1965
Post Number: 525

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 9:06 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Nice!
1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
Mojack
Post Number: 347

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 9:17 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Wow, that's what we want. It's in great shape inside and out, I love that dash!
64ragtop
Post Number: 482

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 4:27 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
No, they're never done! It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle I've always loved the ol' "road toads", but there are not as many survivors as the later models.
Yours looks good, and your changes will make it safer. Please do the dual master cylinder brake modification with the front disks.

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Jkirk
Post Number: 110

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 8:04 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Congrats!! It looks great even the bumper chrome. I just keep pulling my bumper chrome off as needed. lol
Zephyr9900
Post Number: 8

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 9:59 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Have the dual master & the rear-end, looking for the proportioning valve, a frames, spindles and related parts.

The bumpers look better than they are in person. They are lightly pitted and need straightening.
64ragtop
Post Number: 483

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 11:25 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I think those "earliest" A body cars used the same front suspension parts as the '63 - '66 A bodies and original parts are getting scarce.
Tubular and adjustable A arms are readily available, you might check with Reilly Motorsports - https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php .
They might have all the bits you need. I've had good luck with PST suspensions - http://www.p-s-t.com/ .
I'd love to have a wagon like yours with the brakes, engine and suspension modernized! Keep us posted, please.

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Fstfish66
Post Number: 640

Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 9:42 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
frim feel has A arms for the 1973 and up for big bolt pattern disc conversion,,,there are other people that make disc conversions some using original drum brake spindles, rustyhope,scarebird,eci, kool wagon
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Zephyr9900
Post Number: 9

Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 10:21 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I just found a guy scrapping 73 Duster just in time. Tomorrow I'm getting all the suspension and brakes off of it. He says it's getting towed as soon as I'm done.

I don't want to think to hard about updating the engine, because it is so rare. I do have a 6.1 sitting in the garage that I have been contemplating installing in my 61 Pioneer Wagon.
Fstfish66
Post Number: 641

Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 10:26 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
nice find on the duster, hope it is a disc brake car,,,,take any thing u can,,make sure to get the upper control arms and spindles, the lower control arms are the same but may be in better condition,,get the torsion bars if its a v8 car,just incase and maybe the steering box is tighter then yours ? if your converting from power to manual steering or vice versa get the column you can switch the inner shaft and keep your original looking column outer shell,,,good luck
1940 dodge street rod red ram hemi
1966 barracuda super charged 340 4 speed
2002 dodge cummins 4x4 dailey driver
2008 chrysler pacifica
Mojack
Post Number: 348

Friday, November 08, 2013 - 3:43 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
....and check to see if the lower control arms have sway bar tabs and sway bar.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: