TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Archive through July 06, 2013

The Early A-Body Forum » Members Area » My New 65 Valiant Convertible » Archive through July 06, 2013 users admin

Steves65
Post Number: 69

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 4:51 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for the info BC. I checked out the sites and bought a new engine bay harness from year one. I also ordered a new tail light harness as well. You mentioned packing the connectors with grease to keep the moisture out, what kind of grease do you use for them?

I know what you mean about the single pot master cylinder, I have had that thought in the back of my head as well. I kept the 4 wheel drums on the car, but I completely replaced all the brakes, drums, lines, hoses, springs, shoes, etc.... Right before I got her from my father in law he replaced all the wheel cylinders, bearings, and the master cylinder...so even though it is a single it is new (rebuilt). I would eventually like to swap it out for peace of mind, but figured I could keep it for at least a while
64ragtop
Post Number: 433

Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 8:44 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I have used plain ol' high temp bearing grease, but my favorite is the white lithium grease that comes in a spray can. Just spray it into both sides of the bulkhead connector, put a shop towel under the connector in the engine compartment and plug the engine harness in. There will be some excess grease squeezed out, that's what the shop towel is for. Clean up the excess & you're done. The idea is that with the connector bodies filled with grease, there's no way for air and moisture to get in and start corroding again.

I had a complete brake failure once and barely avoided catastrophe so that's why I'm so adamant about it. Good luck! BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Steves65
Post Number: 70

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 4:55 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I got my new engine bay harness, pulled the old one off and spent some time cleaning the firewall and spray painting it with duplicolor paint. I am hoping to be able to install the new harness this weekend!

64ragtop
Post Number: 434

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 9:01 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Nothin' like a freshly painted engine compartment, is there? Lookin' good!

BC
"I have gone faster, backwards upside down and on fire than most people have gone at all" Don Garlits
Mojack
Post Number: 319

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 3:46 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Very nice Steve, it's looking great.
Daprez
Post Number: 263

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 3:41 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
What a difference! Well Done!
1966 Barracuda, 318 V8, 904 AT, 7 1/4 rear, 4 Piston Kelsey/Hays Front Disc Brakes, 10" Rear Drum, Throttle Body Fuel Injection with Computer Controlled Ignition
Steves65
Post Number: 71

Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 5:22 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I installed the engine bay harness this weekend, the only issue is it did not come with the wire that goes from the bulkhead connector to the pump for the windshield washer fluid. I will be calling year one this week and am hoping they will mail me the missing wire....

Updated pic with the top frame retracted, you can somewhat see the seat covers I put on for a temp fix

64ragtop
Post Number: 435

Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 7:35 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
AAaahh, yes, the missing windshield washer pump wire, I know it well. The harnesses (dash & engine) I bought for my 64ragtop also lacked that wire. Year One's harnesses are made by M & H Wiring Harnesses. When I found numerous discrepancies in the dash harness I received, I called Year One. They PROMPTLY passed me on to M & H. I spent uncounted hours (lots) on the phone with them discussing the several schematic drawings we both had. Finally, at their request, I sent them the harness I had removed from the ragtop. They said they wanted to use it for an example. Steve, that harness was seriously A.F.U., having been modified by at least one former owner. It did, however, have the windshield washer pump wire and all the wiring for the back-up lights and all the options that my G.T. has.

I have no way of knowing what M & H did or didn't do with my old harness, but they eventually told me that the harness I got from year One was for a baseline car, with practically no options. Their website, http://www.wiringharness.com/ does have an explanation in the FAQ section under the question "My harness doesn't match my schematic?". It mentions GM vehicles, but in my hours on the phone with M & H they did say that their harnesses did not have the wiring for all the options my ragtop has.

M & H has an exclusive deal with Year One, and I've had no further reason to speak with either of them. In our conversations, the M & H rep did say that perhaps they could make small, partial harnesses for the options and either sell them through Year One or maybe themselves. That's where our chats ended. The dash harness M & H sent me did have the wiring for all the options my original one had and it installed easily and works perfectly.

My best guess about your missing wire is that either Year One sent you a harness they'd had for some time or that M & H has not included that wire in their production in the last year.

If someone has a base model car and received a full option harness, they would have several "extra" wires and connectors. It's obviously cheaper to make harnesses with fewer wires and I thought M & H's idea about add-on sub harnesses could solve the problems I had. That would also complicate the ordering and stocking processes, which no company wants.

If you only have that one wire missing, I'd suggest you simply remove that wire and its terminal from your old bulkhead plug and install it in your new one. Or you could locate the connector and install it in the engine side of the bulkhead device and run a new wire to the WW pump yourself. That's what I did.

If you want to ask Year One or M & H about the issue, email me and I'll give you names and phone numbers.

Year One and M & H could certainly explain the possible discrepancies in their harnesses better, IMHO.

Keep up the good work, Steve!

BC
Steves65
Post Number: 72

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 4:41 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Update:

I called M&H, they told me to mail them the old wire and they would make a new one for me and mail it back. So I pulled the old wire off the harness and mailed it off to the west coast yesterday....they seemed really nice about it so I am hoping I get a nice new wire back without any issue in a couple of weeks.....we'll see how it goes!

Otherwise: I was looking at the old girl and more specifically the ugly rusty spot on the rear quarter and I though to myself....I can make it better...how could I possibly make it worse! So I tried my hand at bondo and spray painted over with some red dupli color....it took me two days....but....It is not nearly what I want it to be, but I do think I made it better and it won't be such an eyesore when I am driving down the street. The plan has always been to do the body work and have it all resprayed after it is mechanically all sorted out....a year or two from now

Before

During

After
64ragtop
Post Number: 437

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 4:34 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
You do nice work, Steve! I don't suppose you'd want to take a Texas vacation and touch up my 64ragtop, would you?
You take good photos, too.
That sure seems like an odd place for the damage you repaired. The usual areas are low on the quarter panels and the trunk floor.

I fully expect M&H to come through for you. All of our dealings were cordial and professional, and eventually we came to
a meeting of the minds. Then they supplied me with what I needed.

BC
Steves65
Post Number: 73

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 6:08 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks for the kind words BC. I'd love to go down to Texas, but sorry to say not to work on cars. I met my wife in San Antonio when we were both in the Army, haven't been back down there since 95.

Not sure how the damage happened, now you've got me wondering the same thing...I am going to ask my father in law if he knows.

I took some big steps with her today, I got my license plates! It is supposed to rain all weekend though and their is no top on her so not sure if I will be able to do any driving. When I got home from work it stopped raining for a few minutes and I couldn't help myself so I crossed my fingers, hoped she wouldn't break down and it wouldn't start raining! I only drove about a mile, she was blowing some smoke, the tires have flat spots from sitting, and the speedometer bounces around a bit while you drive....BUT IT FELT AWESOME!!!!!! After 8 months of work, I was finally able to go for a ride, even if it was just a quick one and I made it back with no issues.....I'm still smiling!

Here's an updated picture, with rear trim and hub caps back on (That rear section of trim hasn't been on since 1984!)

Mojack
Post Number: 320

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 4:57 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
That looks great Steve, I see you deleted the "side markers". I like it better that way. Now it's time to take your father in law for a quick (1300 mi.)spin. :-)
64ragtop
Post Number: 438

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 8:08 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Congratulations on the shakedown cruise, Steve! I'm still waiting on one in my AZDart. Finally found the power steering pump and brackets.
Just need to complete the p/s hoses and the radiator, but life keeps getting in the way...

Haven't been back since '95? I'd think both of you would be pining for another 5-6 months of 100 degree days. We just had our first week of over 90 temps this year.

BC
Steves65
Post Number: 77

Friday, June 07, 2013 - 6:38 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Just a quick update, I just received the missing windshield washer pump wire from M&H....They came through as promised! I also just ordered a new windshield washer reservoir and pump from amazon.com so once that comes in I will be able to put it all back together.

Mirror install - It looks like the mirror that was mounted on the door fell off a few times, lots of holes from being remounted, which led to rust. I brought it over to my brother in laws and he helped me out, cut out the rust and welded in some new metal so I will be able to get a mirror back on in the near future

I painted my rims red, I have a rim for a spare tire, but no tire. I went to a local shop thinking I would be able to pick one up, but was told they no longer make 185/80/r13's unless I want to buy a trailer tire so now I'm not sure what I want to do....the other 4 tires are pretty much brand new because they were never driven, but have flat spots, I was going to buy a new spare and swap it for the tire with the worst flat spot, but since trailer tires are black wall and the others are all white wall I'm not sure what path to go down yet.....it's not urgent so I will think it over for a while. I am also in the process of getting my convertible top put together, I have a couple of good leads on a used header bow. Once I get one I will be able to send the car out to have a top put on
64ragtop
Post Number: 441

Friday, June 07, 2013 - 8:16 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi, Steve...
I went to the Tire Rack website and entered your tire size. Found this.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&width=185%2F&ratio=80&diameter=13
Not shilling for Tire Rack, but their site has some good info.

Also, how old are the tires you have on the car? I recommend you look at a couple of sites:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

And

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/05/tire-aging-when-to-buying-new-car-tires-based-on-age.html

Your tires might even be more important than that one hole master cylinder. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist).
Welcome to the old car hobby, Steve. Did you ever see a movie called "The Money Pit"? It deals with a house, but there are similarities galore!

BC
Steves65
Post Number: 78

Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 5:52 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I saw the money pit, I thought I got a car not a boat,ouch! Thanks for the info, the tires are old, not sure how old, maybe some time in the 90's, but they look brand new and no dry rot or cracks. I will be seeing my father in law next month and have lots of questions for him so I'll make sure to add this one to the list! If I swap them out for new ones, I might as well get wider ones, any idea what would fit on my 13 inch rims?

Here are a couple of pics I have been meaning to post

before

after (not sure if I like the red or should change to black)

This box spent 30 years in an attic!

But the top is in great condition

Mojack
Post Number: 325

Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 6:26 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Pop the hub caps back on and I think you will like the red. it looks sharp to me.

That top will look good too!
64ragtop
Post Number: 442

Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 11:56 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I would vote for small "poverty" caps, or maybe baby moons on the red! Congrats on the top, looks like it was made yesterday. Likely better built than one that WAS made yesterday!

BC
Steves65
Post Number: 80

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 3:58 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hello everyone, hope you had a great 4th! The 4th felt a little like Christmas to me. I was working on my vert, installing the new rear tail light harness and washer pump and reservoir....but still having some issues

Here is just an updated pic with polished up hub caps and side mirror back on

The goods

After installing the new harness my rear lights still did not work....I traced it back to this switch...but am having two issues, first, the switch is cracked and I haven't been able to find a replacement on line. Second, it mounts on the steering column behind the brake pedal, but I can't figure out what activates the switch. I am wondering if there is a missing piece?

Just a backside view of the switch

Mounting position on the column

Donc1965
Post Number: 512

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 5:04 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
There is a metal pin that clips onto the steering column. When you move the column shift lever, the pin rotates and presses on the switch. Here's a picture of a broken pin to give you an idea of what it looks like.

1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT