TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Vernier caliper Recommendations

The Early A-Body Forum » Other Discussions » Vernier caliper Recommendations users admin

Dalerich
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 29

Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 4:07 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi All,
I have found that I really need to get a caliper to read measurements of things on the car as I start to put it back together. I would love to get any information on what to stay away from when buying and what to look for that is good. Dial, Digital, 6 or 8", Sears, or one off craigslist? Thanks for any input!

-Dale
Brion
Post Number: 97

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 6:38 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
You would probably like a digital- Sears would be o.k; I do not personally care much for what Harbor Freight has as it is very cheap and unreliable.
My caliper is a Starrett - made in USA - expensive but accurate. It is metal and analog.

Good luck with reassembly.
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 102

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:35 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Dale allot depends on how deep your pockets are, I would go with a digital and stay with a good brand name like Starrett, snapon, Mac tool. There is several good brand name available. Might check with a machine shop in your area and see where they get there measuring equipment from. A dial analog caliper is very good also but if your not using it all the time why that is when a digital comes in to play plus allot of the digital read both inches and metric. I would recommend a 8" over a 6" just because it gives you a larger range of measuring. Good luck and Happy Holidays.
Hell_fish
Post Number: 146

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 8:54 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Be careful if you buy a used one. My dad spent weeks hitting pawn shops years ago to find old. A few times he found one he like and the sales peron would be messing with it and over thighten it and ruined it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: