TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

Demon Carb <>PCV

The Early A-Body Forum » Other Discussions » Demon Carb <>PCV users admin

Lilredriding
Post Number: 13

Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:50 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hi Guys, hope you can follow my thoughts ....

Iīm using a BG RoadDemon Junior Carb mounted on an offenhauser intake and Mopar Performance Valvecovers

this afternoon i reconized that there is only the breather on the passengers side coneccted with a hose to the air cleaner. (normally on my Valiant for example there is the PCV on the drivers side going to the carb.) on my Bīcuda, there is no PCV - nothing - and also i could not find a stud or something on my carb to connect one...

could this matter cause trouble in the future? is there really a need of the PCV ? (okay i see there will be more oil fume on the breathers side
burn baby burn....
Brion
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 22

Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:43 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I do not think it will hurt anything as long as you use a vented breather cap. I have seen pre-1962 cars that just had a metal "dump pipe" off of the passenger valve cover. Do they perform underhood smog control inspections in germany?
Some people here eliminate the pcv as it can cause clogs in vacuum passages with oil crud ..
Lilredriding
Post Number: 14

Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:08 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
embarassing - i found the stud on the carbs backside -using my wifes make-up mirror..

so now the question: what would you do ? stay with it, as it is - or - installing a pcv ??
burn baby burn....
Brion
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 23

Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:49 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
My engine builder convinced me to stay with the pcv as it is better for the environment. I know of people here who refuse the pcv due to issues it may cause in the carb. Since I have all the pcv hardware in my commando valve covers, I will use the pcv- If it causes problems with the Edelbrock carb. I may try something else. It is your call, it will work either way, but if you don't run a pcv; be sure to put a plug over the open port on the back of the carb.
Lilredriding
Post Number: 15

Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:34 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Brion - thanks for your answers, i think i will put the pcv on the valve-covers (have to drill a hole or break something in) The port on the demon is allready closed with a plug - the car runs the last view years without a pcv...

i have talked to some mopar-guys here in Germany and the result is nearly 50:50 some of them are insisting on the pcv, some of them say "forget it..."
burn baby burn....
Brion
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 24

Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:29 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The main thing the pcv does is to reburn "blow by " - products from the combustion process by returning them to the combustion chamber. In a healthy engine, these are minimal- In your case it can ce a pain to cut a hole, install a rubber grommet and put in a pcv. I think I would leave it be if it runs good. Your friends are right on both sides. Good luck.
Charrlie_s
Post Number: 60
Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 9:12 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
A PCV is a good thing. It will draw contaminated air out of the crankcase, and remove condensation. Without the PCV these contaminants, form acids inside the engine, and decrease the life of the engine. I would never run an engine without a PCV. You also need a breather to allow fresh air into the engine, to replace the air removed by the PCV.
66 Cuda 170 nitrous
66 Valiant 225 nitrous
65 Valiant 170 turbo

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: