TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

EVBC Mailing List

The Early A-Body Forum » Other Discussions » EVBC Mailing List users admin

Daprez
Post Number: 31

Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 1:58 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Many members of The Early A Body Forum are also members of The Early Valiant and Barracuda Club and recently our custom built, fully tweaked mailing list died. The data base is shot and all is lost.

Due to the time and effort, and cost, I have decided not to rebuild the list at this time. A sad day for the EVBC as the list was one of it's most endearing qualitys and helped many members in its 9 years.

Thanks to Neil and these forums, many of the EVBC members will be directed here for our communication needs.

I don't want all the dedicated Dart and Lancer owners to feel like we are taking over your forums. On the contrary, I would like to invite you to share your pictures, and stories with us and bring together the Dodges and Plymouths and celebrate all the early "narrow" A body cars together.

I would like to post more picture of early Darts and Lancers on the EVBC site as well as You Tube videos and history of these Dodge A body models. And in the future, if everyone is happy with things, perhaps a club name change to reflect all the cars.

One possibility, The Early A-Body Club. Lancers, Valiants, Darts and Barracudas.

Feel free to send me any links to a personal site or blog you have or know of, or any info or picture you have that you would like to see on a website and I will post it. rogerk@earlycuda.org

Thank you
Roger Kizer
Club President
The Early Valiant and Barracuda Club
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Times Car Was At Carlisle: 1 (2008, Finally!)
Daprez
Post Number: 32

Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 2:07 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
If you always wanted a personal page telling the story of your car, how you got it or what your plans are for it, then write up something, send a few pictures and I will post your own page in the "Members Section" of the EVBC website.

Not sure what to write? Take a look at what our current members have written about themselves and their cars. Some are short and some long. Click here http://www.earlycuda.org/members.htm to take a look.

Roger Kizer
rogerk@earlycuda.org
Club President
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Clifcuda65
Post Number: 198

Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 2:11 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'm all for what the "PREZ" has said above... Roger has my full support!!

Let's see.. from EVBC to EABCLVDB... Duh! I can't remember all them letters! (I'm getting old you know) Maybe just Early A-Body Club "EABC"

Clif (Has my Da-Veep Status been revoked?)
09 SRT-8 Challenger 6 Speed
65 Cuda Formula "S" 4 Speed
Daprez
Post Number: 33

Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 2:27 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Clif,
You will ALWAYS be "DaVeep"!!
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1249

Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:37 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Here here....Daprez for President. Oh wait, he IS the president!

Hopefully we can get all this together...
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
http://cuda.enbcom.com
65valiant
Post Number: 110

Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:55 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I really liked the mail list. Is there someone that could take it over and ,possibly, fix whats there, or use a new list software? I can donate some time, but I can't do it alone (kinda busy lately, and I am also not smart enuf). :-)

Just my thoughts.....
Darwin/BC/Canada

'65 Cdn Valiant Custom 100 'vert
Slant 6 /factory A833...eternal project

'67 Dart GT 'vert
273/904...now with "Collector" status

Check 'em out...
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e285/65val/

Daprez
Post Number: 34

Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:41 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
The reality of keeping a real, no ads custom mailing list running takes the knowledge of working with advanced email systems because you have to make it work with MSN, Gmail, AOL. ect without them black listing you for spamming.

It also takes the specific knowledge of the servers and IP address the list resides on. ie. someone in your hosting co.

It's not something your average user, including myself, can do. Erik put together a fantastic mailing list, but was doing it while he was working for our hosting company where he could configure, maintain it and tweak it on a daily basis. and I mean DAILY!

In the future if we went to a mailing list again, it would be a commercially available, advertising supported list with little or no tech support and possibly some users would not be able to participate because of their email host.

We went through this before the recent list, remember Topica, Ugh! It's not fair that some can join the list and others can't.

I liked the mailing list too and will miss it. If we can keep in touch using the forums with little or no constant tweaking and not excluding anyone then I'm all for it.

Roger Kizer
rogerk@earlycuda.org
Club President
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1250

Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 7:24 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I really liked the mailing too, I joined it even before I bought my Barracuda in 1999. However, I became frustrated with the lack of archives and inability to post photos, etc. I was using discussion board software for other things and began to realize that was a more appropriate medium for communication, in my opinion.

A while back I made the decision to remove myself from the list and focus on the discussion board/forum only because I could see the writing on the wall (pun intended).

I will add that discussion board software requires maintenance and upkeep as well, and some people can be excluded as well, but generally I feel it's a good thing.
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Kopper65
Post Number: 13

Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 9:37 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well, I set this up as a test to see what everyone thinks. I have several years' worth of the old posts from the original EVBC-list in my Gmail account... Not sure if I can "import" those into this (doubt it), but if nothing else, we can start anew!

http://groups.google.com/group/evbc-list/
Daprez
Post Number: 58

Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 1:21 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks to Menko Johnson, We have just set up a Yahoo Group For the EVBC to start using as a mailing list. This just happened this past week and is the list I have chosen to support. I like the forums and have gotten used to them, but many people liked the more personal touch of a mailing list. I would like to thank Kopper65 for setting up the Google group, but for now the "Official" list will be the Yahoo group listed below.

You do need to sign up for a yahoo account if you do not already have one, but can have the messages sent to any email address you want.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/EVBCearlycuda/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=5

And as always, any feedback is welcome.
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Kopper65
Post Number: 14

Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 8:35 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
With all due respect, Prez, I think you should reconsider. You mentioned before "no ads"... what do you have on Yahoo? Ads. Even in *each* email sent out. You do not have this with Google groups (no ads on the group site nor attached to emails), and in my experience, Google groups are much more functional and reliable (and easier to follow discussion threads!) than Yahoo, so I'm not sure why you're choosing to support Yahoo over Google, other than perhaps you haven't really taken the time to check out the Google groups a bit more thoroughly. There are other reasons why I think the Google groups are better and you can read what I posted this morning over on the list:

http://groups.google.com/group/evbc-list

(I also retained the list name from the old one: evbc-list)

Happy Easter,
kopper
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1263

Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 8:50 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
In the last few weeks posts here have exploded. We went from about 250 registered members to over 500 in the same time frame.

I know there are better software packages out there, but where are they? Let's see one set up and ready to go?

I couldn't care less how we're all communicating, as long as we are and as long as we're sharing information and helping each other out.

Personally I can't stand Yahoo groups and I won't go there.

Daprez: do you want me to remove all the EVBC stuff from here? It seems to me that's what you would probably prefer?
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Kopper65
Post Number: 15

Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 9:29 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Neil, what do you think of Google groups? Here are a few more points I just posted on the Google groups site:

The Google Groups interface is easier to use both as a manager and as a member. When entering members from an existing email list in Yahoo Groups the link to finalize the steps is off-screen and you must scroll to get to it. This is fine for someone who knows they have to do this but new Yahoo Groups owners may get confused.

Just a few more random thoughts on this subject...

Google Groups is also easier for non-Google account holders to access. With Yahoo Groups, a non-Yahoo account holder must establish a Yahoo ID and then "link" that ID to their email address. With Google Groups, the member simply signs up for a Google Account using their existing email address so there is no "linking" required.

Another useful feature in Googlegroups is the ability to create web pages associated with a particular discussion group. The Google pages creator-like WYSIWYG interface will help you publish the webpages and members will be able to leave comments on these pages. So you can post an interactive classified ad of your car or restoration within the group easily.

Lastly, there's also the all-important, powerful SEARCH tools (there's a reason why Google is kicking Yahoo's butt in the search engine wars). Try going to Yahoo Groups and putting in any search term. See what you get back for results. Do the same search in Google Groups. See how you can pare down the findings? Look how methodical it is. Want groups of only a certain size? Easy. Want groups from a certain language or geography? Let's do that, too.

Super simple, yet powerful.

Communities might be flourishing on Yahoo, but I can FIND them on Google.

Please vote! I created a poll... I'm fairly certain you do not need to already be on Twitter to vote in it:
http://twtpoll.com/r/sxs9xw

I feel I've made my case. With only 20 or so messages on the Yahoo group so far, it's not too late to switch.

Cheers,
kopper
Clifcuda65
Post Number: 224

Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 7:34 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Well, My two cents...

I would take Google over Yahoo in a heart beat.
I have had Yahoo accounts and dropped them!
I think Kopper has made Valid point for Google as a Mail list. But, why not give it a shot and find out for yourself.

I also have become attached to THIS Forum Neil has provided to us Early A-body fans. And, do not wish to see this go away.

I sure hope Da-Prez don't fire me... Or Neil kick me off the Forum... Duh~
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1264

Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 7:49 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I'm not kicking anyone!

As before, a mailing list and this forum can live in harmony....kinda like Dodge guys adopting AMC guys...
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 68

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 7:11 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I have no real knowledge of the difference between yahoo and google but I would like to see us have the forum and e-mail ability for comunicating. I'm going to leave it up to the folks that understand the systems and be thankful we have members willing to take the time to enable us to share stories and knowledge. Well there is my 2 cents worth.
Daprez
Post Number: 59

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 10:45 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I would like to say that if Kopper had come forward and contacted me directly like Menko had done and worked with me, this would be a non issue. I feel like I am being bullied and pushed around for making a decision some people do not like.

People outside of those chosen to help with the clubs operation should not be making decisions and promoting things that are not authorized for.

I am always looking for assistance and new ideas, but if you have a concern or idea you need to come to me first and not take it upon your self to "make it happen", that's MY job.

We always test new software or products before we let the entire membership use it so we can work out the bugs before, not after.

As for the Google group, I will check it out to see if it meets our needs. If I feel it's better that the currently Official Yahoo group, then we will change. If not, things will stay as they are now.

Kopper. You need to make me a admin user of this group so I can have full access for testing if you want this to work.

I like the forums and I will continue to use, support, and promote them. Neil, please don't remove anything.
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Barracudabad64
Post Number: 69

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 12:39 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Daprez, I'm one member that knows nothing about the computer programs and have the wife set short cuts up so I can enjoy exchanging information with others. I enjoy having e-mail, forum & the friday night chat sessions. I appreciate all the work that you and Erik have done building the programs that I and other members have enjoyed over the years. I will be happy to use what ever program that you decide to go with. To everyone else I say this I hope that we all will support what ever decision are Prez makes and keep the information and A body comaraderie going.
Thanks for all the work you've done. George
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1265

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 1:04 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Once again, you can turn on email receiving from this forum, so that any post made will arrive in your email! That's how I read the forum, in my email! If I want to reply, I hit the link in the email!

An email list is rather redundant if you ask me.}
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Daprez
Post Number: 60

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 2:12 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
That's how I have been reading the Forums with the email receiving turned on. It has worked well in my opinion and having both may be redundant.

Some people seem to like the more personal feel of a mailing list. I have grown to like both and will continue to use the forums as well as which ever group we end up using as a mailing list.

As before some will stay close to the list, some close to the forums and some will use both equally. Like you said before, there is room for both.

I am close to making a decision on which group we will use and will let you all know soon.
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Clifcuda65
Post Number: 226

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 4:26 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Everyone holding their breath? I am!!!
I know Roger will do what he feels is best for the Group... After all, he is the Founder of the EVBC

clif
Neilb
Administrator
Post Number: 1266

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 4:42 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I agree with you guys, and agree and support what Roger said up above. Let's all be happy and adopt a few themes from the '60's, when our cars were hot and new....Love everyone! Peace! :-)
'65 Barracuda Formula S
Ottawa, Ontario
Daprez
Post Number: 61

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 5:51 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
After comparing both of the groups I have decided to get behind the Google group. I know that there was a lot of tension because of how things happened but that's behind us now. Thanks to Menko Johnson who created the Yahoo group, I really appreciate his effort.

Also thanks to Jeff Koop for creating and maintaining this new mailing list that will hopefully be here for a long time. Jeff will be the primary contact for any issues you may have with the list and I will be the secondary contact.

So without further ado, I introduce the NEW EVBC mailing list!

http://groups.google.com/group/evbc-list

Roger Kizer
President/ Founder
1966 Plymouth Barracuda
318 V8, AT
Colchester, CT
Clifcuda65
Post Number: 227

Monday, April 13, 2009 - 6:10 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Exhale... You are all turning blue!

Let's support the New Mail List and... this Forum!

Party time... Who's got some White Zin?

clif (too old for this)
65 B'cuda "S" 4 speed

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: