TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

My trip to the Junk Yard and the exis...

The Early A-Body Forum » Other Discussions » My trip to the Junk Yard and the existance of God! users admin

Wanderer
Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 1:14 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
I tell you Guyz-n-Dollz there has to be a God and he smiled on me today! Here is the Good,the Bad and the Sad! I made a list for the wrecking yard expecting to get a few parts but ended up with extras, only did not get one part I expected and the one I will have to get made (a driveshaft for a A833 OD/8 3/4 combo!but I can dream eh!LOL!) After spending 77.89 I ended up with the following: Super Six cast iron intake and exhaust(w/ a crack starting) and what is left of the carb. 12" front disc brake caliper adapters and disc shields. Early clutch throw out bearing arm and engine bracket w/ spring mount Another early tranny crossmember(67 and later are different, don't listen to other people!) 11 inch rear brake drums in Great shape! Alot of little parts! The interesting thing was I found the 12" discs on a exCHP cruiser and they were roping off the truck/van section for crushing, there was a Dodge van across the way I decided to check it out..something told me to! Lo and Behold there was a Super Six manifold setup!...time is short 8 trucks ahead of this one...weres the 3/8" ratchet....Egads it is on the Val at home with the extensions! I got my 1/2 ratchet and a wrench and proceed to take off what I can with that pausing to ask if anyone has a 3/8"! Nothin'! 2 cars to go I find some one with 3/8" ratchet and some extensions..I get all but one! 1 truck to go I am working on the last nut with the wrench really slow going. The guy I borrowed the ratchet from scares up another extension(the charity of strangers!) I put it in won't clear the heat riser weight..I hear the forklift coming back after adjusting the extensions around twice(sweating heavy Now!)I get it off..but the manifold is stuck! Did I leave a bolt? I see the forklift coming(these guys do not care if you are working on the car they have to clear the row before they can take a break!) I get in the van and jump on it ! It's free! I collect the parts and tools as the guy is telling me in Spanish to move Now! I pretend not to know what he is saying...heck they do it to me all the time(Thats why I speak some Spanish!LOL!) So thats the Good and Bad..now the Sad;-(! There was a 61,000 mile original 65/6 Dart still had the boots on covering the tierod ends and original shocks 6 cyclinder 3 speed that was in the first stages of being stripped..aside from some pinholes(and I mean pinholes) in the floorboard where it was sitting on the ground I can tell the old geezer loved his car and couldn't part with it till he was put in a home or kicked the bucket! Very Sad! But man what a day at the yard like the old days! wanderer Gentry's Garage
Neilb
Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 1:21 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Sounds like a lot of fun! I haven't been to a yard in years...all the ones close by are long gone. There's a few in the outskirts, and I plan to go with some buddies, but I don't have any money. There's a '66 Barracuda there that I'm told still has lots of good parts on it, and a red interior Valiant with everything in it!
Anonymous
Monday, December 08, 2003 - 10:16 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Where is this junk yard?
Carol
Austin, Texas
Wanderer
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 6:51 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Its in LA Carol,
They are mainly an impound yard and change the cars weekly and it has been a Kcar yard for the last 4 years Sunday was a fluke! But I was happy!
wanderer
Gentry's Garage

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: