TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . LAST: 1 | 3 | 7 DAYS . HELP! . PROFILE . REGISTER . CHAT  

New to the forum

The Early A-Body Forum » Fun Stuff » New to the forum users admin

Steves65
Post Number: 1
Friday, September 07, 2012 - 8:06 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi. I am about 7 months from picking up my first Valiant, its a 65 convertible and I can't wait. I've been wanting this car for the last 18 years, but its been tucked away in my father in laws garage the entire time. It's actually been sitting in his garage away from the elements since 1980 and when I met my wife 18 years ago I asked him about it right away. I finally convinced him to sell it to me, but he lives 1,300 hundred miles away so the whole family will be flying out in April to see them and my son and I are planning on renting a uhaul and towing it back. Now the hard part is just waiting until then!
Donc1965
Post Number: 484

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 7:12 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome Steve. Congratulations on finally scoring that Valiant! Just think, if that car had a good convertible top, you could make an epic drive home.

By the way, we'll be needing plenty of pictures of your Valiant.

Where are you located in MA? I'm in Rocky Hill, CT (about the center of the state)
1965 Barracuda Commando V8 (non Formula S)
Rocky Hill, CT
Garys
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 29
Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 9:38 am   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Ditto on the welcome, Steve. If you enjoy your '65 convertible half as much as I enjoy my '64, you're going to have a blast.
Mojack
Post Number: 272

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 3:38 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Welcome Steve65, it's good to hear that a '65 convertible will be hitting the road soon. Hey Don, a good top doth not make a ride epic!

http://onscreencars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tommy_boy_gtx_3.jpg
Steves65
Post Number: 2

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 4:21 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Thanks everyone, I'm in MA, close to Cape Cod. Currently no top on it and it doesn't run....my father in law did buy a brand new top in the 80's and he never took it out of the box so i'm curious to see how its held up! I do have a few pics he sent to my phone. The interior needs an overhaul because their cats used the seats as scratching posts!!

65 Front

65 Dash

Rear damage

Int needs work

Motor
Donc1965
Post Number: 485

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 5:00 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Looks like a great project. Hopefully you don't find too much rust. If its been parked inside, you should be good to go.

I'd get it running, through a blanket over the seat and drive it around while you work on it. These cars are easy to work on and you'll find a lot of help on this forum.

Some other good resources are:

For A Bodies only forum,
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Slant Six forum,
http://slantsix.org/

And The Early Valiant and Barracuda Club mailing list
http://earlycuda.org/
Rocky Hill, CT
Steves65
Post Number: 3

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 5:19 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
That's a great plan...and thanks for sending those links I will check them out
Donc1965
Post Number: 486

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 6:14 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Mojack wrote:

"Welcome Steve65, it's good to hear that a '65 convertible will be hitting the road soon. Hey Don, a good top doth not make a ride epic! "

This is how I envision Steve's ride home:
http://youtu.be/ZKtFIgmoqoI
Rocky Hill, CT
Mojack
Post Number: 273

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 6:51 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Lol, that's another good one Don.

Steve...what Don said....drive it!
Steves65
Post Number: 5

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 5:20 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
Hello again, just found out some more info on my car, it has 60K miles and my father in law bought it from a guy at a rodeo in the late 70's. Question for you guys, will this Valiant run on leaded gas and does that mean I will have to buy an additive when I fill up the tank?

Thanks
Garys
Intermediate Member
Post Number: 30
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 8:22 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
No need for additives unless you drive it hard. I burn the cheapest 87 octane I can find in my '64, and have no problems other than the usual ones that come from fuels with alcohol.
Steves65
Post Number: 6

Monday, September 24, 2012 - 4:30 pm   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPMove Post (Moderator/Admin Only)   
so I just found out I can't go and pickup my car in April.....I am thinking about having it shipped out from the Midwest to the East Coast. Does anyone have advise on who to use?

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: